SWG T-15 with Low amps

Jun 14, 2016
Valley AL
Hello all,
I'm new to your Forum and have read many things. This is a great site for Salt Water issues in many ways.

I also have an issue with my T-15 having Low amps. My Voltage is in spec, but the amps never get above 3. I have a 16x32 pool and I am on the same cell (original) for almost 6 yrs now. I have replaced the limiter on my board recently while trying to diagnose why my cell reads low Amps, but then click off to inspect cell and check salt stays on. I have a little to much salt in my pool right now and am replenishing with fresh water because I didn't realize my test strips were out of date (meaning I was using ones from 2 yrs ago because someone in the family threw away my new ones) and didn't give me a correct reading. I believe its time for a new cell, and I say that only because if the cell was operating correctly and there is a high salt level, the high salt light would be on. I have also cleaned my cell properly about every 6-8 months. I have an Hayward Aqua Rite system and I have had no problems other than this low Amp deal. My other levels in the pool are in spec as well. That being said I was thinking about getting a refurb since my budget is very low right now (wife had bad wreck, still paying lawyer). Any thoughts?

Please post all the diagnostic readings.

Most Leslie's pool stores have a cell tester to verify if the cell is still working properly. You can also call other local stores to see if they have the tester.

Here are the readings from the control panel.

AUTO
Main screen on and off is 1600
1 Pool temp: 90
2 Cell voltage: 23.6
3 Cell current: 3.8
4 Desired output: 51
5 Instant salinity: -1600 (this will fluctuate then settle back to this number)
6 Product name: AL-0
7 Software revision: r-1.50
8 T-15

OFF
1 Pool temp: 90
2 Cell voltage: 31.3
3 Cell current: 0.00
4 Desired output: 51P
5 Instant salinity: -0
6 Product name: AL-0
7 Software revision: r-1.50
8 T-15

Salt strip reading is 6.6 = 4000 I know its high and I am draining and adding fresh water to adjust this. But in the past when I had high salt, the high salt light would come on. Thats not the case now. Now when you turn it on and it clicks, it only takes 25 sec for the cell to kick off and show check salt and cell (on steady). I have cleaned the cell properly and there is no scale or debris in the cell. I do have a Leslie's pool supply but its about an hour away and i would have to take time off from work to go there and have the cell tested.

The cell is about 6yrs old. So I am sure its out of warranty. I was also thinking it was failing as well. Sooo, that brings me to the next dilemma. From reading different posts on this forum, I have read several people have bought refurbished and generic cells. Is buying one of those worth it? I have seen several comments about this the Salt Solutions site and several others. I also read this thread about them on the forum.
[h=1]Rebuilding SWG cells[/h]
SaltSolutions Inc. - Home

It's up to you to choose, my pick is to use a genuine AquaRite cell with a 3 year warranty. There are some cells with 1 year warranties so make sure you stay away from those.

The service that I have received from Hayward is worth every penny that I have spent. I do have several Hayward authorized centers near me which helps out a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.