Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool House Wall Material

1. Back To Top    #1
    Noblesville, IN

Pool House Wall Material

Our pool house has 4 rooms, an equipment room, bathroom, and two changing rooms. No HVAC other than a vent for the propane heater. Currently the rooms are "finished" with a Masonite board on the walls and an outdoor-type carpet; they look and feel gross; I'd like to replace the floor with tile, but am not sure what to use for the walls. What will hold up against the moisture, especially without HVAC (the doors have angled slats, but that's about it for air flow)?

My ideal look would be a board & batten style maybe 2/3 of the way up the wall and then flat (e.g., drywall) for the top 1/3 & ceiling. Will primed wood and green-board drywall hold up okay?

Here's a couple pictures I took when we first moved in:

40 y/o IG L-Shaped Clayton & Lambert Diving Pool, 40K gal, SS walls, gunite floors, & auto cover
    Sta-Rite S8M150 450 sqft 125 GPM Cartridge Filter, Sta-Rite PHK2RA6E-102L 1 HP Pump
    Pentair MiniMax NT 250 DV 250K BTU Heater, Filled w/ filtered well & testing w/ TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool House Wall Material

I would only caution you that some tile is extremely slippery when wet, so you should check a sample before you commit to installing it. The tile in my house is slippery like walking on ice when your feet are wet. Moisture shouldn't be an issue for the walls, you are not operating a public pool where there would be a constant stream of wet bodies going into a locker room and you have no fixtures in the existing rooms. I'd think that anything you put on the wall that can be painted with a latex enamel paint would work great. Depending on your timeline, I'd probably paint the existing walls white right now if you think that upgrade is going to be happening after the summer.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mansfield, Texas

Maybe something like this for the walls? White Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel From lowes
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

4. Back To Top    #4

I like that stuff. Lasts forever. Just use fine tooth blade when cutting. You might be able to use liquid nails to hold it to your existing walls.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

5. Back To Top    #5

Long Island City, NY

Lowes or HD has pvc bead board and 4x8 sheets. Impervious to water, will not rot. we use it in all our bathrooms & mudrooms instead of traditional wood wainscot.