Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algaecide needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

algaecide needed?

Hello, I'm still trying to understand all this. We had the pool last year and had a serious algae bloom at the end of the season. I just left it until reopening about 2 weeks ago. I completely drained the entire pool, scrubbed the whole thing, put in a new cartridge filter and refilled. Looks good so far. I am interested in using the bleach/baking soda/borax method. I don't mind to shock it once a week. Is this a good plan? If I use the BBB method, will I still need an algaecide? I have a 3 way test kit and 3 way test strips. Do I need something better than that?
    Nancy-TN, 16x48 above ground, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: algaecide needed?

32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: algaecide needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancyperkins View Post
    Hello, I'm still trying to understand all this. We had the pool last year and had a serious algae bloom at the end of the season. I just left it until reopening about 2 weeks ago. I completely drained the entire pool, scrubbed the whole thing, put in a new cartridge filter and refilled. Looks good so far. I am interested in using the bleach/baking soda/borax method. I don't mind to shock it once a week. Is this a good plan? If I use the BBB method, will I still need an algaecide? I have a 3 way test kit and 3 way test strips. Do I need something better than that?
    Generally, if you're following the links that Mr. Bruce posted, you don't need to shock every week. We usually don't use algaecides here - they're a waste of money if you're keeping your chlorine levels at the proper PPM for your CYA level. If you do have a breakout, good old fashioned bleach will take care of it - there's is almost never a need for expensive pool store elixers.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D