Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Longer Lasting Alternative to Skimmer Socks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Longer Lasting Alternative to Skimmer Socks?

I am using skimmer socks in my basket to catch small needles that come off a cedar tree near my pool. The trouble is that they only last a week and I feel that for the money I am spending, I could find a more permanent solution. I was able to find this http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-914256006...mesh-bag-3.gif for the debris canister coming off my main drain, but haven't found something similar for my skimmer basket. I am half considering buying another of those bags and cutting it down and attaching it to my basket with a zip tie. Has anyone come up with something better?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Longer Lasting Alternative to Skimmer Socks?

I know many folks here on TFP use cheap hairnets instead of skimmer socks. They're cheap enough you can even just chuck them after one or two uses.

Not sure if this is the best kind but something similar:

3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Try typing "hair net skimmer" into the search box in the upper right.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I know many folks here on TFP use cheap hairnets instead of skimmer socks. They're cheap enough you can even just chuck them after one or two uses.

Not sure if this is the best kind but something similar:

3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Try typing "hair net skimmer" into the search box in the upper right.
    Wouldn't have thought of that, thank you!

4. Back To Top    #4

Try 1 gallon paint strainers from Lowes or Home Depot.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    Try 1 gallon paint strainers from Lowes or Home Depot.
    I will take a look at those too. One of my problems is that I have a metal rod that is the handle on my skimmer basket. So, I have to put two holes in my skimmer socks to use the handle, and otherwise it is a PITA to get the basket out without spilling all of the contents back into the water if I don't have the handle.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the above 3M hair nets. Work ridiculously well.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have been using a paint strainer for over six months. I just put it into the basket and then put the rod into its holes just kind of pushing on the net.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the paint strainers too. works great and lasts much longer than traditional skimmer socks.

I bought a 3 pack last summer and still using the first one.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

THESE HAIR NETS FROM AMAZON have worked well for me. Cheapest I have found so far.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

I use what GARY300 uses and throw them away each time I change them. I had been using $4 ones and washing them but that was a big pain.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mzimm88 View Post
    I have a metal rod that is the handle on my skimmer basket. So, I have to put two holes in my skimmer socks to use the handle, and otherwise it is a PITA
    I put paint strainers OUTSIDE my baskets. They are pinched between basket and slimmer when basket installed so they stay on. I only take the basket out when the pump is off.

I use paint strainers/pool skimmer socks from Amazon (really same).

12. Back To Top    #12

That seems too risky. They could easily get sucked in and cause a clog.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

They have been sucked into my pump basket twice, but I just pull them out there. Mesh, so didn't stop flow, but ok.

14. Back To Top    #14

Unless they are full of debris when they get sucked in and get stuck. Do as you wish, not sure why that is easier.

Just not going to let potentially non-trouble free ideas go unchallenged
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks!

It is easier when our baskets have handles-the exact issue op posted about.