Found level of leak, likely skimmer, now what?

Jan 3, 2015
Stillwater, OK
Hello,

I did the bucket test about a week ago with a suspected leak, and sure enough I was losing about 1/2" per day after evaporation with pump on or off. Got down to the bottom of the skimmers, then stopped.

I Doubt the leak is in the piping from the skimmer lines, because both skimmers are holding water just fine. I would imagine if a pipe was leaking the area of the skimmer that holds the basket would lose water rather quickly after the pool water dropped below the skimmers.

But now I have no idea what to do. No visible cracks in the skimmers, I did the dye test earlier around both skimmers and I could not see anything. Should I re-do dye test and try to see if I can narrow it down to one or the other? Should I replace faceplates on both and see what happens? How easy is it to replace a faceplate?

Thanks!
Scott

I would fill just above where the draining stops, maybe an inch or two and repeat the dye test in the skimmer area with the pump off. Should be able to locate the leak. It may be inside the skimmer mouth or bucket as well. I've epoxied a couple very small cracks inside my skimmer mouths.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.