Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found level of leak, likely skimmer, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Found level of leak, likely skimmer, now what?

Hello,

I did the bucket test about a week ago with a suspected leak, and sure enough I was losing about 1/2" per day after evaporation with pump on or off. Got down to the bottom of the skimmers, then stopped.

I Doubt the leak is in the piping from the skimmer lines, because both skimmers are holding water just fine. I would imagine if a pipe was leaking the area of the skimmer that holds the basket would lose water rather quickly after the pool water dropped below the skimmers.

But now I have no idea what to do. No visible cracks in the skimmers, I did the dye test earlier around both skimmers and I could not see anything. Should I re-do dye test and try to see if I can narrow it down to one or the other? Should I replace faceplates on both and see what happens? How easy is it to replace a faceplate?

Thanks!
    Scott
    22,000 gallon in ground vinyl, Pentair FNS36 DE filter 36sqft, Jandy FHPM1.5 FloPro Medium Head 1-1/2HP Up-Rated Single Speed Pool Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found level of leak, likely skimmer, now what?

I would fill just above where the draining stops, maybe an inch or two and repeat the dye test in the skimmer area with the pump off. Should be able to locate the leak. It may be inside the skimmer mouth or bucket as well. I've epoxied a couple very small cracks inside my skimmer mouths.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Found level of leak, likely skimmer, now what?

Will do- thanks for the suggestion I will report back with what I find.

Scott
    22,000 gallon in ground vinyl, Pentair FNS36 DE filter 36sqft, Jandy FHPM1.5 FloPro Medium Head 1-1/2HP Up-Rated Single Speed Pool Pump