I'm back - SLAM 2.0 2016 Version - Need more patience or am I doing something wrong?

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
I discovered this site last year when I opened up my swampy pool. Well, I did not learn from the previous winters mistakes and I let my pool cover get too many leaves on it again and it ended up tearing and spilling leaves and junk into the pool over the winter again. So when I opened my pool 2 weeks ago it was worse than ever. Dark green water, no chlorine and was full of frogs and tad poles! I immediately pulled out my test kit and started the SLAM process. The only numbers I remember from the initial test was my FC was 0 and CYA was 0. I added some stabilizer a began my slam based on a CYA of 30. I did not test the PH as I thought I recalled that PH didn't matter during the slam anyway but research has proven that it might? I also messed up the first week and was taking the .25ml sample and dividing by 1/2 instead of using the 10ml sample. I tested my CYA again after a week and it ended up being 60 instead of 30. So the first week of my slam wasn't the greatest because I wasn't maintaining the proper FC level. I did however upgrade to a 2500gph pump this year and was able to get almost all the debris out of the pool the first week.

So... The past week I've been maintaining a FC level of 24 and have been swapping filters ever day or two. I have not been able to brush regularly but have vacuumed and brushed a several times over the last week. I actually got in the pool on Sunday and gave it a real good brushing. The first couple days there was a dramatic improvement in the water quality. I was really hoping the slam would be complete by this weekend and we would be able to swim. Based on the progress it looked like everything was going great. Over the last couple days from Friday to this morning I've not seen very much improvement in the water quality and I'm starting to get impatient. I've read so many other SLAMs taking 3-5 days with much bigger pools and I'm beginning to wonder if I have a problem I'm not seeing. My numbers (FC) are running pretty good and I'm having very little OCLT 1-2ppm. I am seeing about a 12ppm drop from 8am - 6 pm when I get home. When I get home today I will post a picture and my numbers and begin to journal my SLAM. I'm hoping I'm just being impatient and I just need to give it more time but I'm really starting to get discouraged.

The key to opening to clear water is to close after the water temp stays below 60 and open before the water temp reaches 60. You opened way too late to avoid a swamp.

Post up a full set of results. Remember the PH is inaccurate if FC is above 10. CYA should be done in bright sunlight, back to sun, hold vial at waist level. The first step should have made sure that your PH was 7.2 before starting the SLAM.

Sand filters take longer than DE and cartridge filters, so patience is important. Also, test and add bleach as frequently as possible. Brushing everyday is a pain, but very important as algae creates a biofilm that protects it from the FC, brushing removes the biofilm so the algae can be killed. Not brushing increases the time it will take to kill the algae.

You are several steps ahead of most folks and you can do this!

No swamp is going to clear in 3-5 days. It took your pool months to get into its current state.

Could be lack of adequate filtration?

Agreed on the swamp!

I upgraded my pump from a 1500gph cartridge last year to a 2500gph cartridge this year. I just bought a Unicel filter from Amazon and have been running that for the last couple days. Initially I was cleaning the cartridge every 30 mins when I was at home because the flow would get down to a trickle. I am now able run the pump 24/7 with a filter change and clean daily. Would love to have a sand filter/pump but the 2500gph was free and I can't afford a sand filter/pump yet. The 2500gph moves the water 10x better than the 1500gph and is a huge upgrade for now.

The key to opening to clear water is to close after the water temp stays below 60 and open before the water temp reaches 60. You opened way too late to avoid a swamp.
You sound just like my wife! :) I am already reviewing the AGP closing and opening articles so I can avoid this next year. I'm also looking at different ways to keep the cover from slipping into the pool.

Post up a full set of results. Remember the PH is inaccurate if FC is above 10. CYA should be done in bright sunlight, back to sun, hold vial at waist level. The first step should have made sure that your PH was 7.2 before starting the SLAM.

Sand filters take longer than DE and cartridge filters, so patience is important. Also, test and add bleach as frequently as possible. Brushing everyday is a pain, but very important as algae creates a biofilm that protects it from the FC, brushing removes the biofilm so the algae can be killed. Not brushing increases the time it will take to kill the algae.

You are several steps ahead of most folks and you can do this!

I hate that they CYA test is kind of subjective. I performed it and then had my wife perform it as stated above and I got 50ish and she got 60. I decided to go with 60 because I wanted to over shoot the FC goal rather than go under.

I was adding bleach twice a day (every 4 hours on weekend) but now I'm down to once a day. My FC has been 24+ in the AM and around 12-16 around 6pm during the day. I haven't been checking to exact because pool is still light green and I didn't want to waste regent testing anything over the shock FC. So I stop adding drops when I get the FC level.

I will start being more detailed in my test results and log them here this afternoon.

I've been brushing/vacuuming every chance I get. Probably 3-4 times a week. Unfortunately on days like today I just can't manage to get it done. Left for work at 7:00am will get home at 5:30 and then I have about 30mins to eat and change clothes then I'm back out the door til 10-11 pm. I have about 3 of those days a week but I brush every other day when I'm at home.

Thanks for the encouragement thought. It looks like I need more patience and to be more diligent in my testing.

You will probably be happy with the bigger cartridge filter once you get the swamp cleared.

It tough to clear a swamp on your schedule, but it can be done, but you have to be patient. Even if you can get one test/dose in the AM would go a long way in speeding up this process. You can also try to test/dose before you go to bed, but life happens and you can only do what you can. Hang in there!

You will probably be happy with the bigger cartridge filter once you get the swamp cleared.

It tough to clear a swamp on your schedule, but it can be done, but you have to be patient. Even if you can get one test/dose in the AM would go a long way in speeding up this process. You can also try to test/dose before you go to bed, but life happens and you can only do what you can. Hang in there!

I've actually been testing in the AM. Sorry for leaving that out. The last 3 days or so the AM test has show the FC to be at or above the FC shock level goal.

I was able to do a quick FC test when I got home from work yesterday. No brushing but hopefully I can get a good brushing in today.
5:30 PM: FC = 12 - Added 94oz of 8.25%

Got home late.
11 PM: FC = 21 - Did not add anything because I wanted to do an OCLT and I wasn't staying up another 30min-1hour to test

This morning 7:30 AM
FC = 26
CYA 55
CC .5
PH 7.0

I noticed the FC had increased from last night so I figured it must have been operator error during testing. I did another FC test this morning to double check and I got a FC of 25.5. My numbers from last night must have been wrong. I don't recall ever seeing an instance where the FC increased without adding anything.

I also did a PH this morning just for the heck of it. I know the numbers can be skewed with the FC above 10.

Here is a picture of my pool. Great improvement from the black marsh I started with but it's been this green color for about a week now. I wish I had taken a picture of the black lagoon with all the tadpoles but I didn't think about. I do think I saw a slight increase in water clarity from the previous day. I could actually see a leaf on the bottom this morning. I think I'm getting there just need to be patient.

pool-6-14.jpg

There is no need to do an OCLT until you are clear, unless you are just curious.

I was going to suggest more frequent testing/adding, but just read above and it's been covered. Do what you can, and if you can really get after it this weekend that would help a lot.

Here are my latest numbers:

5:30 PM FC 15 - added 71oz liquid chlorine
9:00 PM FC 22.5 CC.5 - added 16oz - brushed pool and changed/cleaned the filter
7:30 AM FC 23 - added 32 oz - That should take me to somewhere around FC 27ppm. Just trying to keep the FC above shock level as long as possible.

Still no visible change in the water color/clarity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep it up... sometimes it is hard to see the difference, but a daily photo by the stairs can help show the improvement. As the algae is killed it will turn an opaque gray green color then it will turn a gray color. The filter will then have to do the work to clear out all of the dead algae and the clarity will improve.

1e0a904b33176422ab4b8397c94a4801.jpg

I actually see some improvement this morning. I can see the bottom and it looks like there is some debris left to get out. I will try to vacuum later today.

I only got one check yesterday and FC was 15 so I added 32oz bleach. I didn't get home til real late and I was exhausted so no check last night. This morning I was at 20.5. I also checked my CYA because we've had some rain the last two days and it looks like that has dropped to 40. I went ahead and added 32oz of bleach this morning and I will check my CYA an FC again at lunch! I only work 1/2 day on Fridays! Yeah! My niece is getting married this weekend so it's going to be a busy weekend but hoping to spend some serious time on the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're assuming you've been backwashing as needed correct (pressure increase by 25%)? And you removed/cleaned the ladder too? The only other thing that stands-out for me in your story is your pool type and patience. I once had about the same pool, and with just one return jet I didn't have the greatest circulation. So that water gets warm real fast this time of year and may have some stagnant areas, even with your new pump. So when you do have that time available, moving that water around (sweeping/brushing) is very critical to disperse the chlorine to all the places it needs to be. It's obvious you are doing your best to be vigilant, that's just something I encountered and wanted to pass it along. Good luck, and enjoy the wedding. :)

We're assuming you've been backwashing as needed correct (pressure increase by 25%)? And you removed/cleaned the ladder too? The only other thing that stands-out for me in your story is your pool type and patience. I once had about the same pool, and with just one return jet I didn't have the greatest circulation. So that water gets warm real fast this time of year and may have some stagnant areas, even with your new pump. So when you do have that time available, moving that water around (sweeping/brushing) is very critical to disperse the chlorine to all the places it needs to be. It's obvious you are doing your best to be vigilant, that's just something I encountered and wanted to pass it along. Good luck, and enjoy the wedding. :)

I have a cartridge pump so I'm not backwashing but I am changing and cleaning the filter about every 1-2 days. I have 2 cheap type b filters and one Unicel. I have one drying, one soaking in bucket with cartridge cleaning and dose of bleach and the one in the pump. I rotate the Unicel in every other filter change.

You suggestion about circulation makes a lot of sense. I looked at last years slam and it took a little over a month to finish the slam. I was hoping this one would go faster since I upgraded the 1500gph to a 2500gph but I've not been able to brush/vacuum as much as I did last year. That may be the biggest difference. I will focus on trying to brush/vacuum at least once a day over the weekend and hopefully that will speed things up. I will do some research about flow and ping pong balls to see if I can figure out what is the best direction to point my return jet.

I haven't had the ladder in the pool so I know that's not a culprit. There is an old inlet that I was eyeing last night where I installed a side wall skimmer and capped off the old inlet. I'm wondering if this could be holding some algae. The problem is that I can't remove and clean this without emptying 1/2 the pool. ???

Just got home and FC is 15. Something is still really eating my Chlorine. I did recheck my CYA and it looks to have dropped to 40 some I'm backing down my goal FC to 16. At least that will save me some bleach and regent. I'm getting ready to vacuum then brush. I'm thinking this should normally be the other way around but I want to vacuum while I can see the bottom. Afraid brushing will stir stuff up and I won't be able to see debris as well? Not sure why this thing is dragging on so long but going to keep at it and hope it's over soon!

From personal experience when we still had the cartridge based system last year, we had to switch out the cartridges 1-2 times PER DAY during the initial opening period. Don't know if perhaps waiting every 1-2 days is too infrequent when the pool is still green and has algae.

From personal experience when we still had the cartridge based system last year, we had to switch out the cartridges 1-2 times PER DAY during the initial opening period. Don't know if perhaps waiting every 1-2 days is too infrequent when the pool is still green and has algae.

When I first opened a 2 weeks ago I was actually changing the filter every 30mins to hour. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of time during the week. I'm swapping daily and after every brush and vacuum on the weekends.

Good scrub, vacuum and filter change. FC = 18.
Done until tonight after the rehearsal dinner. Then it will probably be a quick FC check and off to bed. I did add a skimmer sock to try and catch some of the finer debris. Figure I can remove and rinse often this weekend.

35c5427d1c27089d96f5a7c6aa72ba3a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.