Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from OH-IO!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from OH-IO!

Good morning all!

I am very thankful for recently finding this site, its been a real eye opener! I am a 5 year pool owner of a hand me down 18ft above ground pool (actually, just the shell was given to me, I bought the pump/filter and obviously liners new), all of which I have apparently been doing it all wrong! For as long as I have had the pool up and running, I have done nothing but what the pool store said to do, been using test strips, tons of different chemicals, and never really having sparkling water.

Like many, I went out searching the internet for fixing cloudy water after not opening the pool last year and it being super green and sludgy. I wish I had found this site years ago. I ordered a K-2006 kit yesterday and picked up several gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. Over the weekend I did goto the pool store where they did their mechanical 7 point test which I only assumed was accurate at the time (it certainly looked impressive!) and I now know that isn't the case. But, my CYA was 30 and FC was .5, of which they said was ok and that I just needed something called Pool First Aid to clear up my blue cloudy water which obviously it hadn't

So in short, while I wait for my own test kit (should be here tomorrow), I cleaned off my filter (brand new) and added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday and another gallon this morning in hopes to start a SLAM.
    7.6k AG, 100 SQ Ft Cartridge, 1.5hp Power-Flo LX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from OH-IO!

Welcome to TFP!

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:

1. Begin with this article: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. This boils everything you need to know about managing pool water chemistry down to one page.

After you have a good understanding of the ABC's article, the following articles will give a little more information on the pool chemicals we recommend and the recommended levels.
    2. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    3. Recommended Levels
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Good plan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all! After keeping reef tanks for the past decade, I am no stranger to precise cal/alk/ph water testing...which im not sure why I didn't think more about better testing on the pool, maybe because its only open a few months in NE Ohio and if it was clear it was thought to be OK.

Thanks again and look forward to doing things correctly going forward.
    7.6k AG, 100 SQ Ft Cartridge, 1.5hp Power-Flo LX