Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFPC to the Rescue - Sunday was one of those days

1. Back To Top    #1

TFPC to the Rescue - Sunday was one of those days

After a big costly mistake culminating on Sunday (I killed my entire newly sodded back yard - another story for another time), I told my wife, it was just probably going to be one of those days.

I have a SWG but we had alot of rain on Sat and swam alot with usually 8-9 people in the pool.

So on Sunday afternoon, when I tested, the TC was low and I was going to supplement the SWG with bleach. PoolMath called for 32 oz to bring it to 5 FC.

I added 32 oz of Muratic Acid instead of bleach. I was talking to my dad at the time and the bottle location had been switched for some reason since I don't keep them in the same spot. By the time the fumes were registering as MA, it was done. I am color blind so things like this I don't pay much attention to color.

Then I added Baking Soda instead of Borax to bring the PH back up.

In the end, by the end of the day, all was back in order and fine.

If I did not have TFPC knowledge, this would have been panic mode. Instead, I just tested, adjusted, repeat until everything is back in order and I had everything on hand that was needed. We were swimming again that night.

Thanks TFP!!!!
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFPC to the Resue - Sunday was one of those days

Woo! Wow Matt, sounds like you dodged a bullet there. Thankfully no one was hurt and your pool is back to TFP good status. I bet you won't do that again.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great job on using your knowledge to get everything back in order with regards to your chemistry. But I have to ask regarding burning your sod:

Pulled the solar blanket off the pool and onto the lawn? If so, I did that once when I was a kid at my parents house. Dad wasn't happy! Luckily it was just a surface burn. The roots were still good so in two weeks the green came back!
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: TFPC to the Rescue - Sunday was one of those days

<<<<<<< THIS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    Great job on using your knowledge to get everything back in order with regards to your chemistry. But I have to ask regarding burning your sod:

Pulled the solar blanket off the pool and onto the lawn? If so, I did that once when I was a kid at my parents house. Dad wasn't happy! Luckily it was just a surface burn. The roots were still good so in two weeks the green came back!
    My newly sodded st augustin (about 6 weeks) yard after completing the pool was had alot of weeds. Obviously, weeds that were in the sod since I have never seen the particular type in my yard...

I sprayed "Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for Lawns" on about 2,000 sq ft. The next bottle description then says:
    -Kills weeds in Southern lawns, without harming the grass
    -Kills 200+ broadleaf weeds in St
    -Augustine grass, Centipede grass and other Southern lawns

What I did not see was the fine print that says, do not use on Floritam variety of St. Augustine. Floritam happens to be what is used on well more than 50% of lawns in my area if not a whole lot more. The other varieties are usually special order.

Now, I get to rip it all out, and resod. This will cost me over $1000 to do it myself. The effort to take away the dead grass is huge and then one wheel barrel at a time around the house. The 1st time, since the fence was down and the path was cleared, they could drop the pallets in the back, that is not possible now. The effort will probably be 2-3 times the time and I killed the grass that was fine before.

I am sick about it....
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    If I did not have TFPC knowledge, this would have been panic mode. Instead, I just tested, adjusted, repeat until everything is back in order and I had everything on hand that was needed. We were swimming again that night.
    And THIS is why we all love this place.

Great job!
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

7. Back To Top    #7

Oof. I am sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. Like the pool industry with all the confusing products on the shelves, there are so many products out there in the herbicide aisle. I have had many battles with my lawn weeds as well. Good luck.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post

I just learned this lesson. Literally. I pulled my solar cover off the pool and stretched it across the lawn to dry out before storing it away. When I rolled it back up, I noticed a toasty brown almost black like color to the blades of grass it sat on. I thought maybe the chlorine, or the salt did it. But now I know it was the scorching heat. Ooops. Glad to know it'll come back to life soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    My newly sodded st augustin (about 6 weeks) yard after completing the pool was had alot of weeds. Obviously, weeds that were in the sod since I have never seen the particular type in my yard...

I sprayed "Bayer Advanced Southern Weed Killer for Lawns" on about 2,000 sq ft. The next bottle description then says:
    -Kills weeds in Southern lawns, without harming the grass
    -Kills 200+ broadleaf weeds in St
    -Augustine grass, Centipede grass and other Southern lawns

What I did not see was the fine print that says, do not use on Floritam variety of St. Augustine. Floritam happens to be what is used on well more than 50% of lawns in my area if not a whole lot more. The other varieties are usually special order.

Now, I get to rip it all out, and resod. This will cost me over $1000 to do it myself. The effort to take away the dead grass is huge and then one wheel barrel at a time around the house. The 1st time, since the fence was down and the path was cleared, they could drop the pallets in the back, that is not possible now. The effort will probably be 2-3 times the time and I killed the grass that was fine before.

I am sick about it....
    I can only imagine. It sounds like you are taking it fairly well though, and if it helps, we've all been there before, to some degree.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    I can only imagine. It sounds like you are taking it fairly well though, and if it helps, we've all been there before, to some degree.
    Not sure, I was quite depressed about it this past weekend (and I am not easily depressed or emotional) as I watched what I thought was a little stress on the grass become a full blown kill off.

The reality of the amount of work and cost ahead of me is still yet know. Just when I was finishing up the last few minor items from the pool build construction.
    Matt
    SWG Run Time Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

You can throw some rye grass (over seed) on it and buy your self some time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit