Hayward 200FDN -Leaking from bottom

Jun 6, 2016
Regina, SK
Hello, I have a Hayward 200FDN heater that is leaking water. I was purchased in August 2013, so still fairly new.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting and fixing?

Also, is there a way to bypass the heater and just have the pump running so no water goes through the heater to avoid more leakage?

Thanks

You would probably need to install a valve and an additional pipe to bypass the heater. As far as troubleshooting check for loose fittings and corrosion on the pipes and heat exchanger.

The only good way to find the leak is to open it up. Sometimes, depending on the heater model, you can see parts thru the burner tray to maybe get an idea where it is coming from. Most likely though, you will have to at least remove the top panel to see down inside.

Guaranteed that the heat exchanger is leaking. This is one of the issues with this brand and reason why I will not install them nor recommend them.

You are past the warranty plus Hayward will never admit to this issue.

If you have to see the leak, you will have to take the unit fully apart to get to it. This is a closed system so you can't look under the burner tray either.

It is possible to have someone repair the hole in the heat exchanger depending on the location. However, if you have one weak spot, there are more of them just waiting to spring a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.