Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 200FDN -Leaking from bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward 200FDN -Leaking from bottom

Hello, I have a Hayward 200FDN heater that is leaking water. I was purchased in August 2013, so still fairly new.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting and fixing?

Also, is there a way to bypass the heater and just have the pump running so no water goes through the heater to avoid more leakage?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward 200FDN -Leaking from bottom

You would probably need to install a valve and an additional pipe to bypass the heater. As far as troubleshooting check for loose fittings and corrosion on the pipes and heat exchanger.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, any fittings in particular or need to take top and sides off?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The only good way to find the leak is to open it up. Sometimes, depending on the heater model, you can see parts thru the burner tray to maybe get an idea where it is coming from. Most likely though, you will have to at least remove the top panel to see down inside.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Guaranteed that the heat exchanger is leaking. This is one of the issues with this brand and reason why I will not install them nor recommend them.

You are past the warranty plus Hayward will never admit to this issue.

If you have to see the leak, you will have to take the unit fully apart to get to it. This is a closed system so you can't look under the burner tray either.

It is possible to have someone repair the hole in the heat exchanger depending on the location. However, if you have one weak spot, there are more of them just waiting to spring a leak.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,