Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to add CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tucson, AZ

Do I need to add CYA?

Hi all,

Do I need to add CYA? It's currently reading at about 20, but for whatever reason FC is holding really well every day in the hot desert sun, and the pool is crystal clear and feels perfect. I'm hesitant to add CYA right now because I'd like to be able to use a few pucks for a vacation later this summer, and because things seem to be going so well.

Results this evening:

FC: 2.5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 50
    CH: 775
    CYA: 20

13,000 Gallon IG Double Roman End with Steps PebbleTec Seafoam Green Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 1 HP Sta-rite pump (MPR6E-147L) TF-100 test kit Kreepy Krauly Cacuum

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Do I need to add CYA?

If your daytime FC loss is acceptable to you, then no, no need to add more. You may find that as summer progresses losses rise and you can revisit the CYA level at that time.

This is the beauty of the TFP method. You understand what is going on and through testing you make decisions based on what your pool does and how it reacts.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon