Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using a lot of bleach!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Using a lot of bleach!

Using TFP test kit:

CYA holding steady at 50.
    TA holding steady at 70.
    PH holding steady at 7.5. (Only when I started with TFP have I EVER had and kept such a balance!)
    At night, FC testing at 5ppm.

I lose 1 ppm overnight; 4 ppm during day.
    So, based on pool calculator, using 12.5% bleach (Vertex) to bump overnight to 10 ppm - I am adding 8.5+ cups of bleach per night! This seems like an extraordinary amount of bleach, particularly at 12.5% chlorine! Is it because our temps are so high? Getting 8-10 hours of sunlight on pool? Is the Vertex the problem? I do get it a my local pool store - with discount, it runs cheaper than bleach.

My husband is questioning the cost effectiveness of this method vs. tablets, even though I remind him about having to dump so much water due to increased CYA with tablets. I honestly don't remember how much those tablets cost though, but I do know I don't like having to drain so much water out of the pool when CYA gets high!

Thoughts on the amount of bleach I am using???
    13,770 gal, AG pool-steel sides, vinyl, 24' round, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter, Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP, Type SP, TFT Test Kit-T100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using a lot of bleach!

Heat (water temp), direct exposure/angle to the sun, and organic materials all contribute to FC consumption. Whenever you have a concern about losing more than 4 ppm FC per day, that's an ideal time to consider doing an overnight (OCLT) test. If you pass the OCLT and lose no more than 1 FC overnight, then you can feel assured you are basically algae-free and the FC loss is mostly attributable to the sun. The next logical step then might be to increase CYA slightly - maybe by 10 ppm. At the same time, remember the FC target increases too. We ideally try to keep FC consumption between 2-4 ppm in the summer.

But always ensure algae is ruled-out first before increasing FC. Make sense?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will do the OCLT. I am not sure I understand increasing the CYA - that will increase the amount of chlorine to add. Is it a stabilization issue? I hate to increase CYA after all I've done to DECREASE it to an acceptable level!
    13,770 gal, AG pool-steel sides, vinyl, 24' round, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter, Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP, Type SP, TFT Test Kit-T100.

4. Back To Top    #4

So you're raising it to almost 10 ppm FC each night?
    8 cups of 12% in a 13,000 gal pool would be adding 4.8 ppm

If your cya is 50, your target range is 4-6 ppm.
    If you pass the OCLT, try dosing lower, eg to 7ish, and see where it is the next night. Sometimes "over dosing" is just wasting chlorine since its a percentage that burns off.

In general, 4+ ppm seems a wee bit high in terms of daily consumption, but every pool is different.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been using one 128 once bottles of 12.5 % every four days. Temps 86 in pool and good amount of sun
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Also if your swimming and using the pool a lot, you will burn more chlorine.

15,000 gallon, 12.5% bottle last me 3 days, we swim a lot too. Michigan here

Put in 1/3 bottle every night
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Just for gags, price out the tabs/pucks. I guarantee you will be ahead of the game even without the cost of draining for high CYA.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have conducted the OCLT and have less than 1 ppm variance. So I think I am algae clear. (Yippee)

Question: You say we try to keep FC consumption between 2-4 ppm in the summer. For me, with CYA at 50, I am thinking that would be about 5 ppm minimum. Considering FC loss occurs during the day, don't you have to get the chlorine high enough at night to allow for loss during the next day - high enough so that FC loss does not go below your minimum?

How can you KEEP (consistent throughout the day) FC consumption at 2-4 and account for daytime loss? Are you checking FC periodically during the day and adding chlorine as needed all day long?

What am I missing here?

9. Back To Top    #9

Swampwoman - Thanks. FC was indeed high yesterday morning. So this morning I am at 7 ppm (<1 ppm FC loss overnight). I am going to check it tonight, and see how much FC loss I get today, although it will be cloudy/rainy today. I am going to try adding less than suggested and see if I can put in less if the excess is just burning off.

My pool does get 8-10 hours direct sun daily and it has been higher temps than normal for us in June. Water temps already at 82-86!!! Hope it isn't 100 by August!!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

The FC/CYA Chart chart puts you at min. 4, target 6.
    If you dose to 8, you will be using 20% less chlorine each day compared to dosing to 10. Try dosing to 8 to see if by the next night you still have 4. If so, you will be saving 20% of your chlorine cost.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

5ppm loss per day is a bit high, especially for CYA 50. 2-3 ppm loss per day is more reasonable. With your pool size, you are looking at adding about 1/2 gallon of 8.25% every other day. That should keep you ahead of going below minimum.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart