Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Liner Moved During Partial Drain

1. Back To Top    #1

My Liner Moved During Partial Drain

I have been doing a partial drain and I just noticed that in my deep end the liner has moved significantly.
    I am not sure if this is normal and when I refill it will go back to normal. I have stopped draining the water and have just started to refill the water.
    I have attached a photo, is this going to be a problem? Should I stop filling and do something about this?
    Thanks!

IMG_1246.jpg
    65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Liner Moved During Partial Drain

Fill it ack up immediately and see if it reseats.

How much water had you removed for it to float like that?
    In normal water table, the rule of thumb is to go no lower than a foot in the shallow end. But in high water table, that can still cause It to float.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The picture is tough to see but I think there is water behind your liner. fill it back but you may have to wait for the ground water to recede
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I left just under 2 feet in the shallow end to be on the safe side but I guess I should have left more. Filling now...

65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is water behind the liner now. Does that mean that is a hole in the liner?

If there is water behind the liner, is there a way to drain it?

6. Back To Top    #6

It usually means you have a high water table, heavy clay soil, etc.
    Sometimes the pressure from the added water is enough to push back, so fill it as full as you can regardless.

In theory, you could attempt to remove a small Paet of te liner from the bead track and attempt to pump out/suction some of the water, but you could also just wait a bit for dryer weather to see if the groundwater recedes on its own, and call in a liner company if it doesn't.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    Helpful Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

Sooooo, good news, I woke up this morning and the liner has reseated completely. Almost exactly how it was, just a few tiny wrinkles that I can most likely work out with a plunger.
    I thought I was going to have to spend the whole week on this one... Thanks everyone for the great advice!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

That's amazing.

When I first looked at the house my wife and I eventually bought and now live in, the vinyl liner pool kind of turned me off. I liked the idea of a pool, but I always thought vinyl lined pools were not as nice. I decided an in ground pool was all that mattered, and we bought the house. I'm learning that despite it's downsides, it's got some up sides too. Often, the problems that arise are repairable yourself. I've decided I could probably install a new liner in mine, but I know there's no way I could ever replaster a gunite pool.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!!
    Well, congrats to you too for having good common sense. That situation could have easily gone South but you did all the right things. I'm happy for you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Jason, I'm delighted it worked out for you.

If you ever need to do a water change again (though I hope you avoid same by using TFP method of sanitation) you'd be a candidate for the "sheet method" of water change.

That's where you lay a big tarp or taped visqueen across the surface, and drain and fill simultaneously to maintain the water pressure to hold the liner in place against the water table. But hey, lets hope you don't need to go there
    Helpful Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    or taped visqueen
    Not many call it visqueen anymore
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day