New pump, barely moving any water

Jun 11, 2016
Wichita, KS
Our 3/4 Hayward power-flo kicked the can after about 10 years. You could literally hear the thing from a mile away it was so loud and was losing power daily. I picked up a 1 HP maxi-pump from a local pool store for about $270 (after tax). Model number AC 1000mxv. The new pump however is barely moving any water. I don't understand what could be wrong other than it is just a bad motor. It has higher HP and a higher GPM than our old pump, but is barely working at all. Is it just a horrible brand or what?

PSI is 12. The pump basket is full of water with minimal air. I backwashed for a couple of minutes until the water ran clear, it apparently had been a long time since that had been done, because that seemed to alleviate the issue. It is flowing nicely now, I guess without the loud incessant hum that could possibly be classified as psychological torture it just didn't seem right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.