Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump, barely moving any water

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump, barely moving any water

Our 3/4 Hayward power-flo kicked the can after about 10 years. You could literally hear the thing from a mile away it was so loud and was losing power daily. I picked up a 1 HP maxi-pump from a local pool store for about $270 (after tax). Model number AC 1000mxv. The new pump however is barely moving any water. I don't understand what could be wrong other than it is just a bad motor. It has higher HP and a higher GPM than our old pump, but is barely working at all. Is it just a horrible brand or what?
    10,000 gallon AG. Sand filter (both filter and pump hayward). Pump is a single speed. Pool is 10 years old, liner replaced last year. Test kit: K-2005.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New pump, barely moving any water

What is the psi on the gauge? Is the pump basket completely full of air or does it have a lot of air?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

PSI is 12. The pump basket is full of water with minimal air. I backwashed for a couple of minutes until the water ran clear, it apparently had been a long time since that had been done, because that seemed to alleviate the issue. It is flowing nicely now, I guess without the loud incessant hum that could possibly be classified as psychological torture it just didn't seem right.
    10,000 gallon AG. Sand filter (both filter and pump hayward). Pump is a single speed. Pool is 10 years old, liner replaced last year. Test kit: K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hayward is a good brand. We recommend backwashing the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.
    More here, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach