Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long Should It Take a Stabilizer to Dissolve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Atlanta, GA

How Long Should It Take a Stabilizer to Dissolve?

I am working on getting my CYA up from 20 to 40. I have following the advice of the boards and put it in an old sock and submerged it in my skimmer. It's been 24 hours. Three questions. 1. How long should it take until the sock is empty? I was shocked to find it is still full after 24 hours. 2. How long do I need to run the pump for 24/7? 3. I know it takes a while for the CYA to register. In the meantime should I be calculating/adding chlorine based on a CYA of 20 or my goal CYA of 40?

14.5'x32' irregular shape gunite pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Dolphin Triton Plus robot; 16mm Clear Solar Cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: How Long Should It Take a Stabilizer to Dissolve?

While the sock is in the skimmer and the pump is running, use your hands to crush and moosh the sock - you'll find you can dissolve a couple of pounds in no time.

Running the pump is only necessary until all the CYA is dissolved from the sock.
    12,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    PentAir WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, PentAir CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, PentAir SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pacific NW

I'm impatient about that so when I need cya I put the sock in a bucket of scalding hot water.

I let that sit for an hour then squeeze / squish the sock until it's all dissolved in the bucket
    then slowly dump that in front of the deep end jet.

It takes about 10-15 min of doing that to get it all dissolved.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

It depends some brands of CYA dissolve easier than others
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5
    Miami, FL

I found the one from Wal-Mart, Clorox Brand goes fast, still you need to squeeze every once in a while... ��
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Otsego, Michigan

I used the HTH in a sock infront of the return and 4 pounds was gone in less than an hour with a little massaging.