Pentair SD-40 Lateral Pipe won't separate from valve

Jun 13, 2016
Belleville, IL
Hi! I am having trouble separating the lateral pipe from the valve assembly. Any tricks? I'm assuming sand/crud/etc. is lodged between the pipe and valve making this difficult. I've tried heat (hair dryer), a little WD-40 (with a towel underneath to prevent it from entering the filter), and some rubber mallet assistance. This thing won't budge!

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sorry for the delay on your first post here. We were hoping someone with personal experience about your SD-40 model filter might chime-in and respond. So it's time to give this post a little :bump: for some more visibility. Hopefully someone will reply if you haven't already fixed the issue. Nice to have you with us!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sorry for the delay on your first post here. We were hoping someone with personal experience about your SD-40 model filter might chime-in and respond. So it's time to give this post a little :bump: for some more visibility. Hopefully someone will reply if you haven't already fixed the issue. Nice to have you with us!

Thanks for the warm welcome and bump! :) I think the question should apply to a lot of sand filter owners, as the design is very similar across the board...laterals attached to a center pipe that slide into the valve assembly on top of the filter.

I was able to break the pipe loose and twist it a little with a rubber strap wrench this evening, but it still won't slide out of the valve assembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.