Just confirming shock reaction is normal

JohnLA

Jun 6, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hi there,

I'm currently Slamming my pool (16,500 gal, pebble tech).
Algae unfortunately got out of control while I was on vacation. Had high CYA as well, so needed to drain partially and re-fill.
I'm just about 24 hours into the slam process. There is some improvement in the color, but the pool is still quite green. Is that normal after a day of shocking? I was under the impression that the "green hue" would dissipate more rapidly, and while I'd expect cloudiness, the Algae would be dead and gray by now.
I'm fine with it taking longer (have a few days off to deal with this), but just want to make sure it's normal that it could take a few days, and I'm not missing something.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Current test results are:

CYA 70
FC 28
CC 1.5
Alk 80
pH (before shock) 7.6

There is no definitive timeline for a SLAM because of all the variables involved such as: how bad was the pool? how often will it be tested and dosed? how much brushing is taking place? how good is the filtration? etc...

It's normal for a SLAM to take a week or more. How long depends on all those variables and ones I didn't mention.

Also... taking a picture of the same area each day such as by the steps can help you track progress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.