How to repair leaky old pipe under skimmer

Jun 13, 2016
Corona, CA
We bought this house a year ago and it has a "vintage" Anthony Pools inground pool. Like most things in this house, it is still circa 1962 originality except where things needed replaced. It was a rental for years before we bought it so everything was done cheaply via handyman, including the replacement of the original skimmer. A few months ago we removed the pool decking to replace it and discovered that the skimmer had literally separated from the side of the pool (1/4 inch gap all around). It is the type with 2 holes in the bottom, one to go to the pump and the other comes up from the pool main drain and you use a disk to change the flow skimmer/drain or both. So we had it repaired and put back on buy a local pool repair guy (not a company). He did a good job. Yesterday we finished other things we needed to do (replace original non operational light, electric lines, etc) did an acid wash and started filling her up.

And then, water started gushing out from under the skimmer once the water reached that level. It's not up to the skimmer yet, but up to the level that would be underneath. Upon researching we have discovered a pretty back crack in the main drain pipe just under where it connects to the skimmer. It is an original copper line and the crack is about 1/2 inch under where it joins the pvc to go into the bottom of the skimmer. We have stopped filling the pool and are trying to figure out what to do. Is there a way to patch or repair this without removing the skimmer? Something DIY would be best as we have already sunk WAAAAAY over our budget for getting this pool ready for summer and we still have to have the deck poured (it's still just dirt from when we removed it). Thank you for advice/suggestions.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The crack ... are you referring to a main drain line that comes-up and connects to one of two holes in the bottom of the skimmer? If so, have you considered just plugging that line for now? Main drains are nice at times but not a necessity and often times develop a leak or something that ends-up just being plugged. Just use your skimmer(s) for water flow back to the pump and filter. At least that way it wouldn't hold-up progress for this season. Just a thought. In any case, nice to have you with us.

I don't think plugging will work. What is happening is as we fill our pool and the water gets to where the crack is it just flows out of the crack and has formed a big hole under the skimmer and is now running into the yard and making a huge muddy mess. Any water that does make it into the skimmer is dirty (we have flushed the main drain line by putting a hose down it until it runs clear into the bottom of the pool before we acid washed so we know the line was clean). I'm glad we discovered it before we poured out new deck because with concrete over it we may not have discovered it. Also all last year we had an issue with air in the pump and I bet this was the culprit. At any rate, at this point if we fill the pool it will only result in a flooded yard.

My husband just notified me that it is not copper that is cracked, he is positive it is pvc. He checked it out some more. What we have is the original copper line that comes up from the main drain. It was cut at some point and then pvc connected to it with an adapter. The crack is in the pvc above the adapter just before it goes into the skimmer.

Again, the pool water is about 8 inches BELOW the actual skimmer outlet just for more clarification of where the water is coming from.

Side view
skimmer 1.jpg

Top View
skimmer 2.jpg

So it sounds as if the water is flowing "up" from the main drain then to the bottom portion of the skimmer box correct? So you have the option of trying to repair that area where the PVC and old copper meet under the skimmer, or plugging the main drain from inside the pool so water can't flow back-up towards the skimmer. That looks like quite a mess for sure. Let us know which option you two decide to go and how it turns-out. Best of luck.

How is the pvc attached to the skimmer ? Glued fitting or threaded fitting ?

I'm really not sure as this was done before we bought the house and it's really hard to tell.

- - - Updated - - -

So it sounds as if the water is flowing "up" from the main drain then to the bottom portion of the skimmer box correct? So you have the option of trying to repair that area where the PVC and old copper meet under the skimmer, or plugging the main drain from inside the pool so water can't flow back-up towards the skimmer. That looks like quite a mess for sure. Let us know which option you two decide to go and how it turns-out. Best of luck.

WE are going to try to repair it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Yesterday my husband tried using Marine Epoxy and just made a huge mess that still leaked. Today we are going to use a dremel to get out his mess and then try Fiberglass cloth with resin. We also have an appointment with a pool person for Thursday in case that doesn't work. This is a thing that "might" be covered under our home warranty. It's iffy though because warranty states everything above ground is covered and this isn't necessarily above ground normally, but right now it is because there is no concrete or dirt around it so we will see what they want to do if anything.

We actually succeeded in fixing it yesterday. We both put our heads together and came up with a solution. We found a spare piece of pipe that we already had that fit into the drain pipe where it attaches to the skimmer PERFECTLY (it was one that came with an ikea sink that we couldn't use because it didn't fit our American fittings). We cut a 3 inch length of it and then used marine resin to attach it. After the cure time my husband then used JB Water Weld at the bottom and the top of the inner pipe to add more seal and to also make it easier for the water to slide past instead of trying to go in between the pips (more aerodynamic I guess you would say). Finished filling the pool....no leak. Turned on the pump.....no leak. Added the disc so that it pulls only from drain, no leak. So I think we are all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.