Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy milky water with a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy milky water with a SWG

I was told by a friend that works in a pool store that my water is cloudy/milky because I'm getting air in my filter/pump. After carefully checking all valves, o-rings, and tightening everything, there is no air getting in. All chemicals are balanced. I've shocked and used a clarifier. Still milky, so much so, I can't see my finger tips when I stick my hand straight down in the water. BUT... I noticed that the water around my titanium electrode (I have a SWG) looks milky. When my SWG is off and the pump is filtering with out making chlorine it is clear. My questions is, do i need to buy a new titanium electrode or is there something else I can do? Please help, I'm in the dog house with my kids!
    Intex above ground 18' X 48" round with Combination pump SWG/sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy milky water with a SWG

We need a full set of test results to determine if its a chemistry problem or a filtering problem.

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Have you inspected inside the cell for scaling, it will have a white buildup on the plates if there is scaling?

Post the actual water test results.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

FC 1.23
    CC 1.65
    pH 7.8
    TA 85
    CH 250
    CYA 45

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I took it out and scrubbed it clean. Still milky

5. Back To Top    #5

You test results make it appear very much like algae or other contaminate in the pool. Your FC is terribly low for a CYA of 50: FC/CYA Chart At no time should your FC be less than 4, with 6 being the goal FC level.

Your CCs show its a chemistry problem (at least).

Have you added calcium lately? Your vinyl pool doesn't need calcium so it doesn't need to be added. Calcium can sometimes make water milky for a short period.

Have you added anything else to the water such as algaecide?

Where is Heath Springs?? It helps us know what state you are in because water and climates vary in different areas.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

The cloudiness you see while the SWG is creating chlorine is actually chlorine gas and is perfectly normal. I'm assuming that your cell housing is clear and you can see in it. My cell is clear and as long as the SWG is generating chlorine, I see the white chlorine gas rolling off the plates.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by carlos31820 View Post
    The cloudiness you see while the SWG is creating chlorine is actually chlorine gas and is perfectly normal. I'm assuming that your cell housing is clear and you can see in it. My cell is clear and as long as the SWG is generating chlorine, I see the white chlorine gas rolling off the plates.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Carlos, that's correct for inside the SWG, but the OP has a pool full of cloudy water.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just wanted to make sure the OP wouldn't try to make a connection between the SWG cloudiness as the cause of his/her problem since the OP asked about buying a new cell.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

I've been working on it since beginning of May. Yes I added algaecide but over a week ago. I did add calcium but over 2 weeks ago. I live in SC. The pool store computer reading say the FC/CC is okay between 1to4 but I don't trust it because I think they try to sell you stuff you don't need. When I turn the SWC off and just run the pump the water starts to clear up, thats why i thought it was the titanium electrode. I'd love not to have to buy another one though

- - - Updated - - -

Carlos,
    That's exactly what I thought! Thank you so much for confirming! I've just had problems with this combo filter and have had to replace parts so I just wanted to make sure since this has been going on for about 3 weeks now.

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you know what kind of algaecide you put in? The brand?

We don't routinely recommend algaecide use, and as mentioned before you never need to add calcium to a vinyl pool unless you have a heater to protect.

Please review these short guides: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry FC/CYA Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

It's highly unlikely the cloudiness in your pool is from the SWG. The cloudiness in the cell when it's running is the normal production of gas as Carlos mentioned.

You'll be facing a decision very soon. Do I use TFP recommendations or continue listening to the pool $tore? Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) as taught here will clear your pool, and it will be safe and sparkly. Your pool is not safe at 1.5 PPM free chlorine and 45 ppm CYA, and when it's cloudy. The pool $tore is wrong, wrong, wrong. Their objectives are different from a pool owner's objectives.

If you decide to go with TFP, order an approved test kit right away. If you then also follow TFPC, you will save back the $70 cost of the test kit before the end of July vs. continuing to listen them. There's easily over a 1,000 threads on this forum that will back this up.

These two numbers - FC 1.2 and CC 1.6 tell the experts here that you're on the path toward a green pool and bacteria growth, if not already there. The experts here will guide you toward a safe, clean, sparkly pool.

And welcome to TFP! Good to have you here and I hope you enjoy it
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

12. Back To Top    #12

Not sure the brand. It was from the pool store. I'm at the point off draining the whole pool and starting over. We just want to swim!

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely will trust you guys over the pool store. Just wanted you to know what their computer readings were saying.

13. Back To Top    #13

That's great to hear. If your test kit is not already on the way, order this one as soon as possible TFTestkits.net

Include the XL option (extra reagents to get you through a clean-up or an extra season, $15). People here love the speedstir ($35) if you don't mind the extra cost. It's optional.
    (I have no business interest in TF Test Kits. The Taylor K2006C is also an approved test kit)

Glad you're headed in this direction
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

14. Back To Top    #14

So is there a quick solution or is this going to take a while to fix? Either way, yall are the experts and I'll do whatever you suggest to get the water safe to swim in. Thanks in advanced!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Whether you drain or not, you NEED your own test kit to keep your pool healthy.

If it were my pool I would drain and start again, after getting the tester so that I could put in ONLY that which it needs and nothing else

And keep testing to monitor it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Drain and refill is my vote too. You'll be up and running as quick as that job can be done. You can skip the XL option on the test kit in that case, plus some likely headaches as well.

- - - Updated - - -

And less spending on chems to eliminate the cloudiness.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks guys!!! "Drain it" it is! I'll order the test kit tonight! I'll be in touch! Happy swimming!