battling high PH out of the tap

May 8, 2016
Frisco, TX
Love this forum, long time reader, first post. Do all my own chemicals, test all the time. My question:

I am constantly adding acid because the fill water is very basic (about 8.2). Of course, living in Texas means high evaporation, so much so that I have an automatic fill on a timer (during the summer) and every day it runs for 10 minutes. This does not quite keep up, BTW, I have to add more here and there. The bottom line is that I am constantly having to add acid to bring the pH back down, really annoying.

Anyway, does anybody have ideas on less maintenance of this ? Would it hurt to keep it around 7.8 ? Seems like it will naturally stabilize between 7.8/7.9 but I have to battle just to have it around 7.5/7.6. I drop it to 7.2 and bam, back up to 7.8 in no time. I'm thinking about just letting it stay higher, it's more natural for the pool - just not worry about it until it hits 8.0 and be happy with it at 7.8. Thoughts?

It's not a HUGE deal since I'm out there with the liquid chlorine so much but it is annoying. Also, I do not use borates at this time. I have young kids and getting a dog so did not really want those in the water just yet, maybe when they're older. And one more detail, my spa does trickle into the pool so the aeration does not help, either. Maybe I'm just consigned to the constant pH management. Just looking for ideas.

FC 5
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 185
CYA 65

BTW, I know I should raise the CH, just haven't gotten around to it but don't think that's going to help my pH issues.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Rather than let the pH rise too much, perhaps it keeps rising because the TA could be lowered just a little but more. Have you considered the acid/aeration method as seen on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page? You might try lowering TA ot 60. It may not seem like much, but it may be just what your pool needs to remain more steady. Aside from that, always plug your numbers into the Poolmath Calculator and then look at the "CSI" row. When pH, TA, and CH get too high, together hey team-up to effect your plaster (scale). SO watch the effects of those 3 together and you'll see what I mean. Hope that helps. Welcome to TFP.

Oh, next time you get a chance, unless I missed it, please specify if your IG is vinyl or plaster. Thanks!

Actually, it would be very easy to drop to 60 and often falls down there since I'm constantly adding acid. Consequently, I also have to hit it with the baking soda more often that I should since it has downward pressure from the acid. I'll take the TA down to 60 and see if that helps; however, with the tap water at 8.0-8.2 I'm probably just going to have to live with the situation.

One last question - what Is the problem with leaving pH around 7.8 if that's where it naturally gravitates? What's the downside at the value if everything else is in check?

Leaving at 7.8 - no problem at all as long as your TA and CH are not also high which would impact CSI (scaling). So as long as TA and CH are on the low end, no problem. I hear what you're saying about TA dropping with repetitive acid treatments. But we also have some members who actually let their TA sit at 50 if that helps at all. Good luck!

Ok, excellent info Pat. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

@Pool Tool, this is a great idea, I'm going to do that at some point. We also have alot of wind here so combine that with the heat and it is probably evaporation. It matches my neighbor's evap levels as well but the bucket test can't hurt when I get a day with no wind.

BTW, here in north Texas (near Dallas), we don't have the humidity that Houston/SE Texas has. Completely different humidity level - I hear ya, not sure I could take Houston.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.