Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5

    TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Hello all,

    I recently emptied, powerwashed, and refilled my pool. As part of the restarting it, I looked far and wide for a simple recommendation of the proper CYA level for Austin, Texas. It was very hard to find, so I'm hoping this post will be helpful to others in my situation.

    I asked the people that built our pool, and did the initial fill; they stated 70-80 ppm for CYA.

    This seemingly high value is, of course, due the long hours of sun we get here. My pool was great at this level, until I turned it off for a long vacation :-/, so I can say it definitely worked well to hold/stabilize the amount of chlorine added daily by my tablet chlorinator.

    HTH,
    Greg
    20,000 gallons, in-ground, PebbleTec, flagstone coping. Rectangular, with in-pool spa and beach shelf.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    If you do not have a SWG, then we would suggest a CYA in the 50ppm range.

    What FC level are you maintaining? Are you aware of the FC/CYA Chart?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,579

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by gstein View Post
    Hello all,

    I recently emptied, powerwashed, and refilled my pool. As part of the restarting it, I looked far and wide for a simple recommendation of the proper CYA level for Austin, Texas. It was very hard to find, so I'm hoping this post will be helpful to others in my situation.

    I asked the people that built our pool, and did the initial fill; they stated 70-80 ppm for CYA.

    This seemingly high value is, of course, due the long hours of sun we get here. My pool was great at this level, until I turned it off for a long vacation :-/, so I can say it definitely worked well to hold/stabilize the amount of chlorine added daily by my tablet chlorinator.

    HTH,
    Greg
    That's the low end for me! Here in Tucson where the sun blazes hot all day long on my pool, if I have anything less than 70ppm, my SWG will run constantly just to keep up. TFP recommended levels try to cover all the bases for the widest applicability possible. But everyone needs to tailor their ranges to their local conditions. Certainly anyone in a high heat / high sun area can use higher CYA levels if they offer the advantage of keeping the UV loss down. As long as the pool owner is diligent in their testing and in keeping their pool properly dosed, a high CYA pool (all the way up to 100ppm) can be easily managed.

    Good job
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If you do not have a SWG, then we would suggest a CYA in the 50ppm range.

    What FC level are you maintaining? Are you aware of the FC/CYA Chart?
    Yes, the chart is very handy! Right now I'm SLAMing the pool, so I'm keeping it up at 15 or so. My current CYA is 40, but the SLAM is almost done, so I'm gonna move it up to 60 (got the stuff in a sock right now!). I understand the general recommendation is 40 or so (via PoolMath), but that seemed awfully low for our amount of sun. Thus, I asked the pool installers what they do for this area.
    20,000 gallons, in-ground, PebbleTec, flagstone coping. Rectangular, with in-pool spa and beach shelf.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    411

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    I will say that it is amazing how much better the FC level holds at a CYA of 80 vs. 50. Just be careful that you don't ever have to SLAM, because that's a hugely different FC number
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

  6. Back To Top    #6
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,579

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    I will say that it is amazing how much better the FC level holds at a CYA of 80 vs. 50. Just be careful that you don't ever have to SLAM, because that's a hugely different FC number
    For you, and me and other people in hot environments with lots of UV (lower latitudes) and no shade. I'm willing to bet that if you poll folks in other less extreme environments (Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington, etc), there's little or no benefit to raising the CYA that high and a whole lot of downsides if they do (the required shock levels you mention).
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Just be aware once CYA gets over about 70 SLAM becomes very difficult if you ever get algae growing.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Just be aware once CYA gets over about 70 SLAM becomes very difficult if you ever get algae growing.
    Thanks! ... and yeah, that's why I left CYA at 40 while doing the SLAM, and am now shifting it up to 60.
    20,000 gallons, in-ground, PebbleTec, flagstone coping. Rectangular, with in-pool spa and beach shelf.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    AUSTEX
    Posts
    52

    Re: TIP: CYA of 70-80 ppm for Austin, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by gstein View Post
    Thanks! ... and yeah, that's why I left CYA at 40 while doing the SLAM, and am now shifting it up to 60.
    I'm curious, as I'm in the same area with roughly the same pool configuration, what targets do you have (FC, CC, CYA, PH)? I'm new to pools, so when i tested and re-tested the CYA was high >150. I dumped 1/2 the pool and I'm now at about 100. Maybe I need to dump again, but my FC is holding pretty steady and little to no algae present.
    18,000 gal, IG kidney w/ spa, Pebbletech, 60 DE filter, 2 skimmers, auto chlorinator, 2.0 hp pump, Dolphin M400

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •