Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Run Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Run Time

I have a variable speed Pentair pump. If I'm understanding the literature correctly, the default setting is to run for 8 hours at high speed, and then run two 4 hour cycles at progressively lower speeds.

However, my PB to me to set my timer on the breaker for 12 hours a day. Is this enough time for the pump to run?

The reason I'm asking is because I had a cloud in my pool that I thought might be mustard algae, but after running the pump on override for 24 hours on high, the cloud was gone. I have been running the pump on the 12 hour cycle since then (about 7 days) and the water has remained crystal clear.

I'm wondering if the cloud was an anomaly, or if I should expect this type of particle build up every so often on the 12 hour cycle. I want to run the pump as much as needed, but only as much as needed!

Thoughts?
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Run Time

Im not an expert but my reading suggests that 12 hours is longer than needed if the chlorine is right

I run mine for 4-5 hours and its always clear...

Edit to add - mine is a VS pump running at ~2000 rpm so its not at full speed either
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a single speed pump that I run for about 6 hours each day. 2 separate 3 hour sessions. One about mid-day and one in the evening. Mostly based around trying to maximize daytime heating and when I normally test. It's plenty for circulation, provided I run my robot about twice per week. I would guess you need to run longer so that your Polaris can run. Does it clean well on low speed or do you have a separate booster pump?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a booster for the Polaris, and it does clean well. I think the problem may be that my patio is about 2,000 square feet, and we use a leaf blower to clean it....more dust than I think must be getting in the pool. I will change to an 8 hour cycle and see what happens. I doubt I need to run mine 12 hours if y'all are running yours 6 hours. I think I can lightly spray the deck with water before blowing it off, which should keep so much dust from flying into the pool. Thanks to all!
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit