Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust build up on my stainless steel light niche screws

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust build up on my stainless steel light niche screws

I have a some rust build up on my stainless steel screws on my light niche. I rubbed it right off and the screw head looks good. No rust on it. I'm a new pool owner so I'm not really sure about this situation. I have taken my water to the pool store 3 times and it looks really good. All in spec. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust build up on my stainless steel light niche screws

First suggestion is to get a good test kit and test your own water.

Second suggestion is that your screws might not be stainless or are cheap stainless. Did they come with the pool?

Fill in your pool details and read pool school.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure it is rust and not algae? Rust doesn't usually rub right off.

+1 on getting a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net and post up some test results.

Once you have a good test kit with an FAS-DPD chlorine test you can do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is anything growing in the pool.

In Pool School start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    And then, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had my water tested numerous times and it all the numbers are great. The phosphates are low and my water looks great. I had my buddy come over with his TF-100 kit and the numbers were good. Im going to keep monitoring the situation and see if the build up comes back. Ill take any suggestions though. I plan on buying a testkit at some point soon.