Help! I messed up and added way too much Muriatic Acid..

Jun 11, 2016
Lafayette, LA
Hello all! I just set up my pool for the season.. I was doing calculations and made a mistake and didn't think twice about it.. I foolishly multiplied the amount of drops by 100 instead of 10.. Leading me to think my TA was 1800 not 180.. I know .. Im an idiot.. Well I went and poured the rest of the gallon of Muriatic Acid into my pool (not the full gallon but about 9-10x as much as I should have used).. The PH went down from 8.2 to 6.8 or possibly lower since that's all the test goes down to for PH.. My question is .. Is this fixable or should I just drain the pool and start over? I did this yesterday and added some Borax last night to try and bring back some PH.. I will test in a few hours when I get home.. Any help is appreciated , thanks in advance

Welcome to TFP :)

you crashed your PH and TA, using poolmath http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html you can bring it back up, keep adding baking soda to bring your TA to 50, if your TA is still 0, add again to bring TA to 50, continue to do this and it will eventually be at 50, then take your TA to 70...

check your PH and see where you are, if PH is still low you can add borax, 20 mule team to bring up PH to 7.2

I hope this helps :)

UPDATE: So I tested when I got home, here are the results and I believe I know what to do.
chlorine-5
pH-7.2
TA-190
CYA-70
Salt - 2900

So it seems I didn't mess it up as bad as I thought, but my TA is still high. So now, if I've read correctly, I just need to aerate until my pH rises to 7.6 then lower pH to 7.2 which will lower the TA also, then repeat those steps until my TA is where I want it. I will also be bringing my salt up to 3300. Sound good?

That is exactly hour you do it, great job

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.