New pool owner need help.

Jun 5, 2016
Carthage TN
Ok so this is my first year owning a pool. Opened it this year and it had algae so I went to the pool store and got bunch of costly chemicals but I got my chemical levels in check and shocked it and got it clear of algae or so I thought . I started to see alittle bit of algae but couldnt figure out why. It rained really hard and turned our pool green but I could still see the bottom. I removed the stairs and Walah, bunch of algae. So I scrubbed that up but turned my pool really green and it wouldn't go away. I got my pool water tested it came back TC .09 FC 0 Ak 33 and ph 8.2 . I shocked my pool two days ago and it's now starting to turn blue with some green still in the middle. I know my chlorine levels are up cause it's killing algae but what do I do now to keep the algae away and maintain my pool chemical levels cheaply? I'm in Tennessee by the way it's been really hot.

#1 - stop going to the pool store, they may have you do things that cost a lot to fix
#2 - order a good test kit and test the water yourself
#3 - read the pool school section on this site.

I suspect you have little to no CYA and that all your FC is getting eaten by the sun each day and then you algae is coming back. Get a test kit asap and give us the results.

Ok update. I added borax the night of the 16th knowing I was going to get my water tested the next day and thinking that my PH had dropped.. I also shocked my pool that night too because it was green. So my pool test results were.
FC 5.9
TC 6.9
TA 40
CYA 16
PH 7.0
I added baking soda after the test to bring up the total TA the night after these test results. I also know that my CYA was low according to what I read on the site.What is the acceptable range of clorene to swim in and what should levels should I try to maintain? My pool is also cloudy from the borax I added to the pool.Will this clear up? My pool is a 27 ft by 48in above ground pool. What amount of Baking soda and borax will I have to use daliey to maintain good pool chemisty?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.