CYA test tube too small

aodino

Bronze Supporter
Jun 12, 2016
Holmdel NJ
I have a Taylor kit. Its actually a Leslie pool kit but is all Taylor reagents and Taylor name on the inside. Its basically a Taylor but simply rebranded. I don't know the taylor kit number as its not indicated anywhere but it has all the pieces for chlorine. alk, cya, hardness,,,etc. My issue is the small CYA tube. Uou know its like 1/4" wide and I have difficulty determining when the dot is fully gone.

One mf my issues was CYA (very high) which caused me to drain 40 to 50% of my pool and refill. It seems to me (via this small test tube) I think I see about still near 90ish. But taking it to the store where they use the giant size tube with the larger black dot it comes up at 50. It also comes up about 50 via test strips which I know are not accyrate but it does coincide with the 50 at the pool store. I also tested again at the store a couple days later and still came about 50ppm.

So with that said I was looking for the larger test tube with larger black dot and also is the one in which you lower the black dot into the test water till it disappears to get the reading. I see on this site you guys seem to sell a cya test tube that "seems" a little larger than the standard small one but hard to tell how much larger it is but yet still seems much smaller (I think) than the very large ones like at the store which seem to stand about 6" high and 1/2" diameter with nicely sized black dot on a stick. Just so easy to read vs my tiny tube.

Problem is none of the larger (similar to the pool store) I have been able to find are taylor. They seem to be "blue Devil" or Pentair. I don't know if either are as reputable as taylor. They also then have their own reagent which again (I guess I don't mind buying) but don't know how reputable they are.

What are suggestions. How large is the tube sold here and or what about those very large ones from those other companies. Its something I know I wouldn't need test all the time but since I did have the problem I want to now make sure the level is what it is and also will keep an eye on it.

Are you looking for the Taylor #4088 tube?

Welcome to Taylor Technologies

- - - Updated - - -

It's not as finely calibrated as the standard comparator block that comes with the K-2006 which has continuos marks from 30-100ppm. The 4088 tube, I believe, jumps - 20, 30, 40, 50, 80, 100. So it's really better for low-end CYA measurements.

that seems to be the one...thanks I just couldn't locate it on the taylor site so I assumed they didn't make one that large. I think I will get that as it is what I was looking for. And at least I know I can get the cya reagent. Thanks

There's also the #9197 (30-100ppm) and #9193 (20-100ppm) tubes. They may be what you're looking for. For ~$20, you could buy all the tubes from Taylor and just play with them to see which one you like the best.

Just something you may want to know about that tube. Leslie's was using that exact tube for my CYA water test vs the one that comes with the Taylor K-2006. I tested with my K-2006 before I went there to compare notes since the last time I went,their test showed my CYA at 30. Once I received MY kit, I tested the CYA at 80. I returned to Leslie's to compare tests and had them test again. Same result of 30. I then noticed they were using that same tube u are looking at made by Taylor. But they also had the smaller version that comes with the Taylor kits that tests both PH and CYA. I told them to test my CYA with the PH/CYA combo tubes and viola! Different numbers. My 80 was correct and for whatever reason, that tube they had made by Taylor with the dot at the bottom was reading incorrectly or they were adding the wrong amounts of reagent and water. Not sure if there is a difference so be careful when using. Another lesson learned about not trusting the pool stores advice. If I would have went with their test result before I had my kit, I would have been adding CYA to get to 60 since I have a SWG and instead, I would have been over 100 back to draining out water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kit used for the slide comparator is either the K-0200 or K-0206. Both kits use the R-0013 melamine CYA reagent, same as the K-2006.

Typically pool stores get the CYA test wrong because they are careless. The test requires that the mixture of reagent to sample water be 1:1 and that the resulting test solution is gently inverted for mixing for 30 seconds. The test is also best performed in bright, indirect outdoor lighting. Very rarely do pool store employees do the test correctly. Your presence while testing probably made them slow down and do it right.

well....now I don't what to get or trust anymore. I wish there was a simple drop/color change test like the other chem checks. This whole cya test just seems to leave some subjectivity and human judgment not to mention our eyes all see a tad differently. I am simply thinking that the test strip (even though not perfect) matched the 50ppm at the store and fwiw I actually also did my own test with the stores tube so I am thinking .......that I am falsely seeing the dot in my tiny test tube is disappearing before it actually is.

I would really hate to think I need to empty my pool again. I am always seeing the dot disappear around 90ish in my tiny test tube. But as said the strip and 2 store tests including one by me read about 45 to 50. I can live with that and even fwiw 60 vs draining again but 90 to 100? Not so much.

and so.....due to finding past threads on these forum pages about CYA testing an its inaccurate results causing frustrations among some pool owners I must assume there is no perfect way to get too precise in readings. Kind of unsettling imo since chlorine desired level is dependent on cya.

and so.....due to finding past threads on these forum pages about CYA testing an its inaccurate results causing frustrations among some pool owners I must assume there is no perfect way to get too precise in readings. Kind of unsettling imo since chlorine desired level is dependent on cya.

It's not inaccurate at all.

In fact, for a low cost, reagent-based, visual test of CYA, it is the only highly accurate and repeatable test short of having to spend hundreds of dollars on an electronic optical tester (which would require frequent calibrations). It gives test results within 15ppm of the actual value (better than that for most users) and that is more than adequate as pool water is perfectly manageable with a CYA concentration anywhere within the ranges of 20-100ppm.

It's certainly not the easiest test in the kit to perform, that is for sure. It requires careful mixing and finding the right lighting conditions to optimize the test reading. It takes practice but once you get comfortable with it, it's very reliable. In all my years of using it, it has always given me steady results that I can count on. Far better than the pool store and a lot less expensive than buying an electronic tester.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In all my years of using it, it has always given me steady results that I can count on.
Well, me, too. I hate to seem like I am blowing off the issue (I know many struggle with it) I just don't understand why it occurs.

From my first use, It made sense and after about 2-3 tests, I found the conclusions easy to reach and I, to this day, I find it very easy to get within 5-10 ppm at it's worse and often better than that.

I wish there was a more definitive test but I think we have to deal with the hand that's been dealt to us and work with it.

I am more familiar with the tubes found in the K-2006 (30-100 ppm) or the TF-100 (20-100 ppm) but combined with the reliable and consistent R-0013, I think it is a good test.

Kimkats made a good suggestion elsewhere tonight- knowing that the test results are always going to be read by 10's (100,90,80.70 on down and so on) when she tests she starts at the bottom and fills it up to the 100 mark. Can she see the dot?? If so she next goes and fills it up to the 90 mark and so on.... if you look at it too hard your eyes and brain get confuddled I think. Glancing away and then back at the tube again seems to help.

Perhaps this might help the Aodino? I hope so :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.