Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I be concerned about Cracks

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Should I be concerned about Cracks

Our Gunite Pool is approaching 5 years old now with Wet Edge Pebble plaster. At the end of last swim season I noticed some fairly large cracks in the pebble plaster at the deep end of the pool. 2.5 ft long and large enough to put a ball point pen into the crack in some areas (1mm I guess). I have done multiple overnight tests and the pool does not seem to be leaking water out at any measurable rate. I had the Wet Edge rep out to look at the cracks and he says it is because the gunite shell has moved. I figured I would just keep monitoring the cracks and get concerned if and when it starts leaking to a measurable extent. The gunite has a lifetime warranty against leaks. However, I started thinking about the gunite being porous and it is possible that the water is slowly seeping into the gunite, which will corrode the rebar and then make a much bigger problem. Rebar expanding due to corrosion, etc. (I would think this is covered by the leak warranty??). I would hate to have to re-plaster a pebble pool after only 5 years... Should I try and seal these cracks up with silicone or something?? Or just continue to monitor to make sure the pool is not losing water at a measureable rate.

Thanks
    20,500 gallon free form, 6X9 hot tub w/ spillover, 18" jumping platform w/ 3ft shear descent on chopped rock, Travertine coping, 2.5HP Hayward 2-speed filter pump, 525 Hayward Cartridge filter, 350K BTU Hayward NG Heater, 2HP Hayward water feature pump, Satin Matrix Northshore Carribbean, Jandy PDS-8 Controls

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I be concerned about Cracks

I've had a few cracks over the years and our PB fills them with 2 part pool putty. He mixes black and white to match the gray of the plaster and pushes it into the cracks and it cures under water. The oldest one has held up for 4 years now.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to contact your PB and make a warranty claim NOW. Not tomorrow not next week, now. If you have a lifetime warranty on the shell then make the claim. Let the PB come out and inspect and propose solutions. You paid for the warranty now use it.

You also want the PB to tell you ways to reduce the pools movement, like keeping the soil moisture consistent. Cracks are not good and you want to not only repair them but make sure you understand what is causing them so you can prevent them.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    You need to contact your PB and make a warranty claim NOW. Not tomorrow not next week, now. If you have a lifetime warranty on the shell then make the claim. Let the PB come out and inspect and propose solutions. You paid for the warranty now use it.

You also want the PB to tell you ways to reduce the pools movement, like keeping the soil moisture consistent. Cracks are not good and you want to not only repair them but make sure you understand what is causing them so you can prevent them.
    Thanks, they were made aware of the situation last year and had the wet edge rep out to review. Since it wasn't losing water I don't think they were very concerned. I'll contact them again and speak with them about it since additional time has went by.
    20,500 gallon free form, 6X9 hot tub w/ spillover, 18" jumping platform w/ 3ft shear descent on chopped rock, Travertine coping, 2.5HP Hayward 2-speed filter pump, 525 Hayward Cartridge filter, 350K BTU Hayward NG Heater, 2HP Hayward water feature pump, Satin Matrix Northshore Carribbean, Jandy PDS-8 Controls