Getting a new liner on Monday..How long to fill it? What do I do then (first time)!!

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Hi guys,

On Monday (June 20th), I am getting a new liner installed. This is my first pool and I have never managed a pool before.

I have ordered a K-2006 test kit (after reading pool school), but it will not arrive for another week or 2 (being in Canada SUCKS). How long will it take to fill my pool with a single hose?

What do I do once it is filled with water? I have a new gas heater and SWG (both not installed). Should I throw in some bleach, or just the salt..or both? If so, when do I throw the salt in?

I am kind of panicking as I do not want my new water to turn green right away!! Also, am I SOL without a test kit until then?

Some steps for a newbie would be great.

all depends on your water flow...do have really high water pressure?

If so I suspect somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 hours to fill.

I have the same size pool but less than half the gallons and it took 15 hours with high pressure.

Once filled, I'd dump 2 gallons of bleach in right away and get some CYA in there.

all depends on your water flow...do have really high water pressure?

If so I suspect somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 hours to fill.

I have the same size pool but less than half the gallons and it took 15 hours with high pressure.

Once filled, I'd dump 2 gallons of bleach in right away and get some CYA in there.

Thanks..will do.

Also, CYA? Where can I get that, and how much do I put in?

With a single garden hose.... you're likely to get about 20 gallons per minute on up to a 50 foot hose. Probably a full 24 hours of filling at least.

You'll need CYA and some chlorine to start for sure, as well as your salt. First priority is to get some CYA dissolving in the water and some FC. Use Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to figure out how much CYA to get to 40 ppm at least to start. It'll be quite a lot. Eventually you'll want your CYA to be up at 60-70 for a SWG pool, but start at 40 ppm CYA and work up. Your new water will have 0 CYA, so it's easy to keep track of how much you've added and what you should have for a level once it all dissolves.

I would add a half gallon of bleach when the pool is half way full, and then the rest of the gallon when it's full. That will keep anything from growing right away. Get the pool circulating, make sure it's not leaking, then put your CYA in some socks (you'll need several) and suspend them in front of returns and or in the skimmers. You can add up to a gallon a day of bleach until your kit arrives, but you're going to need reliable testing for FC and pH very soon after filling.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks..will do.

Also, CYA? Where can I get that, and how much do I put in?

You can get it at many places today. Pool stores will have it. Get the granular kind as it's cheaper. If you go in the pool store, beware of them trying to sell you a start up kit if your mention refilling. Don't buy it. Just get your CYA and get out. Or... if you have a WalMart or Home Depot or other similar store, they may have pool chemicals in their own section of the pool. Most of them have CYA for sale as well.

With a single garden hose.... you're likely to get about 20 gallons per minute on up to a 50 foot hose. Probably a full 24 hours of filling at least.

You'll need CYA and some chlorine to start for sure, as well as your salt. First priority is to get some CYA dissolving in the water and some FC. Use Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to figure out how much CYA to get to 40 ppm at least to start. It'll be quite a lot. Eventually you'll want your CYA to be up at 60-70 for a SWG pool, but start at 40 ppm CYA and work up. Your new water will have 0 CYA, so it's easy to keep track of how much you've added and what you should have for a level once it all dissolves.

I would add a half gallon of bleach when the pool is half way full, and then the rest of the gallon when it's full. That will keep anything from growing right away. Get the pool circulating, make sure it's not leaking, then put your CYA in some socks (you'll need several) and suspend them in front of returns and or in the skimmers. You can add up to a gallon a day of bleach until your kit arrives, but you're going to need reliable testing for FC and pH very soon after filling.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get it at many places today. Pool stores will have it. Get the granular kind as it's cheaper. If you go in the pool store, beware of them trying to sell you a start up kit if your mention refilling. Don't buy it. Just get your CYA and get out. Or... if you have a WalMart or Home Depot or other similar store, they may have pool chemicals in their own section of the pool. Most of them have CYA for sale as well.

This is great. Thank you...

As you stated, yes, the "start up" kit was already offered to me several times, and I have turned it down. I plan to just use this forum as my main resources as I learn and figure this stuff out.

So I should not dump in my salt until the SWG is installed and running?

Once you get everything filled, just maintain FC with bleach until you get your test kit.

Then post a full list of test results here, then we can worry about salt. You're going to need about 900 or more pounds of salt, depending on the recommended salt level ppm for your SWG. Do you know what that is? I would get the salt ordered or purchased. Again, many big box stores will have pool salt cheaper than pool stores. Just make sure it's pool salt. Use Pool Math to tell you how much salt, assuming you'll start at 0.

Once you get everything filled, just maintain FC with bleach until you get your test kit.

Then post a full list of test results here, then we can worry about salt. You're going to need about 900 or more pounds of salt, depending on the recommended salt level ppm for your SWG. Do you know what that is? I would get the salt ordered or purchased. Again, many big box stores will have pool salt cheaper than pool stores. Just make sure it's pool salt. Use Pool Math to tell you how much salt, assuming you'll start at 0.

Thanks, will maintain with bleach.

I bought the Zodiac Auqapure EI. Got a good deal on it.

I already bought 12 bags of 20KG of salt (from home depot), that is what the pool store recommended. With my bad in head math, that's like 550 pounds. 900 pounds seems like a lot, but I could get some more.

How did you come to 34K gallons? For a 16*32 you'd have to be 9ft deep all the way. How deep is your pool? If it truly is 34K 900lbs of salt is about right, double check on pool math. To see how fast your hose goes time filling a 5 gallon (20 liter?) bucket and do some math. Also take a sample of your municipal water to a pool store that will check for iron and copper content, but make sure you're prepared to run away from any chemical sales pitches.

How did you come to 34K gallons? For a 16*32 you'd have to be 9ft deep all the way. How deep is your pool? If it truly is 34K 900lbs of salt is about right, double check on pool math. To see how fast your hose goes time filling a 5 gallon (20 liter?) bucket and do some math. Also take a sample of your municipal water to a pool store that will check for iron and copper content, but make sure you're prepared to run away from any chemical sales pitches.

HAHA sorry! I did not read the calculator, just put 9 feet depth, when it fact that's only the deep end. LOL. Will update my sig now.

This is how much of a newbie I am lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's ok. Last year pool math told me to put 150lbs of stabilizer in. Until someone here pointed out to me I was using a pool volume of 300K instead of 30K.

And the good news is we just cut your fill time nearly in half!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.