Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump sucking air -- Resolved :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump sucking air -- Resolved :)

Just in case this info is useful to someone . . .

I recently installed a pump timer, only to wake up to a filter system full of air (i.e., no circulation and pump running hours while dry)

I suspected a system leak, but could find no evidence. After awhile trouble shooting, I discovered that the skimmer basket floats when the pump turns off. When the pump turns on again, the floating basket blocks the weir, and the pump sucks air. With no water to float the basket, it drops into place allowing water in (appearing normal), but by then the system is air locked.

I dropped a heavy bolt into the basket so it won't float. Now to the hardware store to buy something heavy that won't block the basket or corrode
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump sucking air -- Resolved :)

I keep a large stone in one basket and the other one I zip tied a chunk of zinc to the bottom (serves two purposes).
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

A stone, duh! I have one of those. Thanks!

Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)

4. Back To Top    #4

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Chasmengr View Post
    A stone, duh! I have one of those. Thanks!
    Just make sure you use one that is large enough in all dimensions that it can't get sucked into the hole and lodged in the pipe work in the event that you accidentally drop it in.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    Just make sure you use one that is large enough in all dimensions that it can't get sucked into the hole and lodged in the pipe work in the event that you accidentally drop it in.
    Great advice - I already put one in not thinking about that. I'll go check

7. Back To Top    #7

I lucked out. The stone I choose is big enough Thanks again!

8. Back To Top    #8

Lol.....nice sized river Rock here too
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!