Hayward Super Pump Humming

raabbb

Jun 13, 2016
Bowling Green, OH
We have a Hayward Super Pump (SP2607X10), came with the house we purchased about 4 years ago. Noticed this year after pool opening it was a bit louder than normal operating noise last few years. Yesterday I shut off the pump so I could vacuum, closed the main drain, plugged one of the two skimmers, and went to turn pump back on-- and it didn't start, just a humming noise. Tried a few more times to fire it up -- at one point the humming stopped and it was just silent. I thought perhaps it was overheating - so I waited a number of hours and tried again -- still just a hum.

Been doing some research and I want to check that there is no debris locking up the impeller (upon initial opening and cleaning there was A TON of leaves and debris that got pushed into the pump basket and had to be cleaned out multiple times, and I noticed cracks in the basket itself where small debris could escape.) And if that doesn't lead anywhere - I was thinking of checking the capacitor itself with a multimeter to see if that's gone bad.

Is there anything else I should be checking? I'm not a handyman what-so-ever but would prefer to get this up and running on my own before replacing the pump motor as a whole if possible.

Also -- will I be able to disconnect the unions from the current pump after turning off electricity, and drain the pump without having to do anything else -- I've never removed the pump from the filter and intake/output pipes before but obviously will need to in order to work on it. I don't want to end up with water pouring out endlessly somewhere if I missed something.

looking at lodged debris in the impeller (mine hummed/jammed once from a pine needle clump) & testing the capacitor are a good idea.

also check the end piece of the motor, can't recall the name of it but it sits at the very end of the motor near where the power comes in.

Decided to try to manually manipulate the impeller with a screwdriver before taking apart pump -- worked it a bit left and right and after hooking everything up again- she fired right up. Still a lot louder then I recall it being though - but at least it's back up and running!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.