old gunite pool and water loss

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
Hi, I have been noticing a loss of about 1/2" of water per day in my 1972 gunite pool in MA. I started noticing it last fall and shut it down for the year. The water level seems to stop dropping at the skimmer mouth. I checked around the skimmer mouth and other areas of lost tile with red dye and could see nothing evident. I did the bucket test last year and there was a difference between bucket and pool.

There is no leakage around pump.

Not sure what else to do. I can tell you the pool is really old and does need to be resurfaced. There are a number of lost tiles and all and the previous home owners did not open it for years and it was a black swamp.

Next year we are hoping to get it replastered and such. Any ideas in the meantime?

thanks

Attachments

• cracked tile.jpg
    cracked tile.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 105
  • pool skimmer.jpg
    pool skimmer.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 106
  • pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 105
The leak could be in underground plumbing, too. A good way to tell where the leak is happening is to allow it to leak until the water stops leaking. Once the water gets below the leak, the water level won't change.

Just an update. I had a good idea of where the leak was in the pool in that the water never dropped much below the bottom of the skimmer. But the dye test revealed nothing.

Since I had already bought A & B Epoxy I just put it on any suspect area. Including where the skimmer meets the gunite, spots where tiles fell off and left "divots" in the plaster. I ended up patching about 10 spots and the pool no longer leaks.

Thanks as always for all your help.

rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.