Polaris 380 / Over The Deck Line Problems

May 26, 2016
Denham Springs, LA
I have a Polaris 380 with an over the deck feed line from the booster pump. The line was run by the previous homeowners underground but then it comes up to run "over the deck" and feeds into the pool. The covered the line with concrete but the ends that are exposed are both pvc but I don't know if the entire pipe is pvc of if they used a HD hose. Regardless the exposed pvc has hairline cracks and is leaking. I tried to do an easy repair using Water Weld but it just created leaks in other spots of the exposed pipe. My two questions are this --

1.) Is it better to use a HD hose or to go the route that the previous owners did and use pvc with a metal shut-off valve and then cover again with concrete?
2.) Should the pressure relief valve be installed underwater? Currently the pvc pipe sits on the side of the pool, not it in, and then the Polaris in connected above water instead of with an elbow and pipe running down into the pool as all the diagrams show.

I've attached a picture of the water leaking from the pipe near the metal valve (yes I know trying to use Water Weld wasn't the best idea).pool.jpg

I had a similar issue, in that my vac is also routed over the deck, so to speak....I ordered spa hose from Amazon, and re-plumbed it with a union/disconnect in line so that I can remove it when not in use, and have it put away for parties, etc. My relief is in the water- the only rigid piece of tubing is a 90* elbow that goes over the edge of the pool into the water- it terminates with a threaded fitting that accepts the pool vac connection. I am luck in that my booster/pump is close to the pool.

I would not have a problem re-covering with concrete per se, but it would not be my first choice....

This is the tubing that I purchased: Amazon.com : HydroMaxx 50 Feet x 3/4 Inch White Flexible PVC Pipe, Hose, Tubing for Pools, Spas and Water Gardens. Includes Free 4oz Can of Hot Blue PVC Gorilla Glue! : Swimming Pool Hoses : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.