All those wet towels and what to do with them

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Three months into pool ownership and the towels and bathing suits hung all over my patio chairs are driving me crazy ;-) My husband jumps into the pool multiple times during the day and he rotates several towels throughout the day so there are always at least two hung out to dry along with two swimsuits. As it is pretty humid here in the summer it can take awhile for a towel to dry. He just reuses the towels until the weekend when I do laundry.

I've seen some towel "trees" on places like Amazon but wonder if they are worth the price or if I just need to get used to having towels draped everywhere. Any creative ideas on what to do with wet towels besides hanging them on chairs?

Pinterest has some really cute hanging stations. You may want to check there.

I have a place that has staggered hooks for adults and children to hang the clothes they need to dry ~ functional with no frills.
I don't like to see towels and wet suits hanging from the chairs, it drives me nuts.
I liked a couple of the prettier hanging stations on Pinterest, but... will I get around to getting crafty until late fall, No. I enjoy being outside too much.

I made my self a towel rack using a large planter box, a six foot long pressure treated 4x4, coat hooks, 1 concrete deck block, a bag of pebbles, and a deck post top cap. I put the deck block in the planter, then put the 4x4 in the deck block and used wood shims to make it fit tightly. I poured the pebbles into the planter to help weigh down and anchor the 4x4. I screwed 2 coat hooks on each side of the 4x4 and placed the deck post cap on top of the 4x4 to give it a finished look.

I also have a 20 foot stainless steel dog chain strung up under the eave of my garage. I hang really wet towels on the chain so they get more air flow. Previous home owner had put hooks up, I assume for hanging plants, so I re-purposed them instead of removing them.

The stuff you can buy online is typically no better than what you can make yourself unless pay a lot of money.

I have three deck sleeves for umbrellas and my plan is to go to the hardware store and buy some 1-1/2" PVC pipe, 3/4" PVC and tee fittings. With a can of PVC glue and a can of Rustoleum paint, you can easily build a modular towel rack (and pool noodle holders, etc) that will be the color you want and costs A LOT less. If you don't have deck sleeves to anchor it, simply buy a cheap umbrella holder or a nice planter box and you're good to go. Heck, it can make a great summer project for your kids (if you have any).

Just trust me when I say I'm not the crafty type. We literally own like 5 tools, including a hammer and some assorted screwdrivers. Cut pipe? What's a saw?

You can buy the PVC pipe cutter in the same section as the pipe. You can even use a simple ripsaw to cut PVC :D Heck, if you work out all the dimensions you need on paper before hand, most hardware stores will cut the PVC for you for free (I know Ace hardware does).

Trust ME, this is not the typical Pinterest rocket science (I know some Pinterest crafty types and they are crazy). A project like this literally will take you about 2-3 hours or so spread over two days (to let the glue and paint dry). Heck, you don't even have to glue it if you don't want to.

But hey, if you want something quick, Amazon Prime will have it. No bragging rights though when friends ask you about it :p

You can buy the PVC pipe cutter in the same section as the pipe. You can even use a simple ripsaw to cut PVC :D Heck, if you work out all the dimensions you need on paper before hand, most hardware stores will cut the PVC for you for free (I know Ace hardware does).

Trust ME, this is not the typical Pinterest rocket science (I know some Pinterest crafty types and they are crazy). A project like this literally will take you about 2-3 hours or so spread over two days (to let the glue and paint dry). Heck, you don't even have to glue it if you don't want to.

But hey, if you want something quick, Amazon Prime will have it. No bragging rights though when friends ask you about it :p

Gotta love Amazon Prime! I just can't see either my husband or myself spending 2-3 hours on any kind of "project". I don't mind not bragging about making my own towel rack either. I'd rather brag about how nice my TFP pool looks and the great landscaping we did. :wink:

This is what I did:

P1000957.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one of these wall mount towel racks on order - it actually should arrive today. I will be putting it a side wall next to the door to our backyard pool area. Should be a great spot to hang swim suits, towels and wet rash guards...

511TY1yYLaL._SX466_.jpg

I found it on Amazon - we tried a "stainless" steel one, but it was only big enough for a hand towel...

Amazon "The Original Hanging Towel Rack"

Ohhh that might work. We have a couple of pillars on our lanai that we could attach that to and it would be out of the way if there were no towels on it.

Yikes, just looked at the price though, ouch!

Not to beat the dead horse, but that is made out of PVC piping exactly as I described. And there's maybe $15-$20 worth of PVC there (that's retail price...a mass manufacturer is getting the PVC in bulk and for a lot less). Seriously, you could easily build that thing for about $20 worth of parts at your local hardware store....

Ok, dead horse fully flogged.....

No I get it but it's just not in our skill set and not worth the frustration it would cause. I just ordered the wall mounted one on Amazon for $46. It will be enough of a struggle to get my husband to borrow a drill to mount it. If we didn't have a pool party coming up it would probably never be put up [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.