Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Products to cover up Stains on plastic stairs

1. Back To Top    #1

Products to cover up Stains on plastic stairs

I am in the process of doing a partial drain to lower my stabilizer levels and I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to cover up some nasty staining that I have on my plastic stair entry to the pool.
    I have attached a photo showing this yellowish discolouration. I have tried to clean this but it won't come off...
    I'm wondering how I can go about covering it up? Does anyone know of any products that are waterproof that can whiten or cover it?
    Thanks!

IMG_1244.jpg
    65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Products to cover up Stains on plastic stairs

Have you tried a polishing compound?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

I have not, nor do I really know anything about them. If you can give me any hints to push me in the right direction on how they work or what brands to look for, that would be appreciated. Thanks!
    65,000 liter / 17,171 gallon pool with vinyl liner. STA-Rite Sand Filter Model T-200BP-1. STA-Rite 1hp Pump Model MPRA6E-147L. Laars Lite 2 Heater with Jandy Control Panel. Hayward Chlorinator Model CL220. Intermatic Timer.

4. Back To Top    #4

First, try to remove them. Try a vit C tablet crushed up in sock or thin towel or directly on the stain as a paste. Or try a trichlor puck if you have one or some diluted bleach/liquid chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, will try all of this, thank you! The source of this discolouration seems to be glue that was used in this spot by the previous owner. I'm wondering, if all else fails, is there something that can be used to cover it up? Underwater paint or something to that extent?

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, yes I see that. I sent a PM to another member who might be able to help. Also, those stairs are probably fiberglass, not plastic. Check on that. If they are fiberglass they will have a gelcoat surface and there might be some type of gelcoat repair/touchup kit available.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Hey there, looks like you got some discoloration going

hmmm,, There is a rubber spray paint that will work very well underwater but it has to be 100% dry when painting it on.. if the water is down and dry you should have no problems... It can be power washed up to 2500 PSI and I have had a piece underwater for a year with no issues... With that said, these are stairs and well stairs get abused every time some goes in and out of the pool and I am afraid it would get damaged over time.... it would be less than 50 bucks to try but if it failed you would have to drain the water down again and try something else...

it is from dipyourcar.com and they have every color you would want including white if you want it... you want to do very light coat to start and then get heavier coats.. for that step I would recommend at least 10 to 15 coats for a very thick product when done... here are some video's if the process
    DipYourCar.com

the more durable and long lasting and probably the correct way to do it is using gel coat repair.. it is probably not as expensive as you think if you can do it yourself or find a mobile boat repair company and they can do the repair very fast... there are 2 companies near you that would easily fix that..
    Google

if you want to do it yourself here is a great video, yours would be a bigger area but the same exact concept

here is what I have used it on
    Original

after dip

this is the piece that has been in the water for a year

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **