New pool - clear, but....

May 11, 2015
Martinsburg, WV
My new 7600 gallon agp is nice and clear, but not registering any chlorine. I've used the tabs. pH is 7.8, alkalinity 200. I just put the pH reducer in, and will retest soon. I'm assuming I need to shock the pool once I get the pH/alkalinity set, correct? Do I need a stabilizer? Anything else? CYA seems to be nonexistent.

Ok, first thing we'd suggest is to get your hands on a reliable and accurate test kit. We recommend the TF100 (Link in my signature) or the K-2006 (also available from tftestkits.net)

Before you can really answer "What do I do next?" you need to have a good, reliable understanding of what's going on in your pool right now, and those kits will provide that information for you over the long term.

While waiting for the kit, you should definitely read up on Pool School (link in my sig) so you can begin to understand why we test the way we do, and how we're going to react to those tests.

In the meantime, adding half to a gallon of plain ole bleach (yep..just bleach from the laundry aisle) each day should do a fair job of keeping the things reasonably in line, and then if there's any issues we see in the test results, we can work from there. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.