dpd reagent vs powder wildly different

Jun 4, 2009
Sullivan County, NY
I've been daily testing FC using the r-0003 reagent and it continued to register way too low (around .5 to 1). So I continued to add bleach.

Then I tested using the powder/0871 and FC was high (30-40).

So I bought a new bottle of 0003 and the same thing is happening.

This morning:

FC using 0003: 0
FC using powder: 4
PH 7.5
TA 100

What could be going on?

Could the powder have gone bad over the winter (it does freeze)?

Thank you,

Joseph

Joseph,

You have them backward, no issues...

You use the powder 0870 first
add 0871 until clear
then add 5 drops of 0003 (if clear you have no Combined Chloramine) if turns pink next step
add 0871 until clear again that is your CC

Have a look at this video, which also highlights the reagent numbers. FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube

R-0870 is the DPD powder, R-0871 is the FAS-DPD titrating reagent for measuring FC (free chlorine)

R-0003 is DPD reagent for the CC test (combined chlorine), followed by R-0871 to get the CC number.

Also yo should store your test kit in a climate controlled location, some of the reagents do go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures or extreme heat. I forget exactly which ones go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures, if yours were exposed to freezing you may want to contact TF Testkits for advice and purchase replacements for those reagents.

Holy cow did I mess up!

The R-0003 reagent (yellow cap) was in my PH/CH tester, so of course it wasn't reading CH as r-0001 would!

Just tested and there's no CC.

Thank you cowboycasey!

- - - Updated - - -

Have a look at this video, which also highlights the reagent numbers. FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube

R-0870 is the DPD powder, R-0871 is the FAS-DPD titrating reagent for measuring FC (free chlorine)

R-0003 is DPD reagent for the CC test (combined chlorine), followed by R-0871 to get the CC number.

Complete mess up on my part: I just saw the yellow cap and assumed it was the CH reagent from the basic kit (r-0001).

Thanks for help!

- - - Updated - - -

Also yo should store your test kit in a climate controlled location, some of the reagents do go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures or extreme heat. I forget exactly which ones go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures, if yours were exposed to freezing you may want to contact TF Testkits for advice and purchase replacements for those reagents.

The pool is at a summer place where everything is shut down for the Winter, so there is no climate controlled place to store.

Just like lots of things (the house itself, motorized vehicles with their gas and batteries, etc.), the Winter takes its toll.

Thanks!

Holy cow did I mess up!

The R-0003 reagent (yellow cap) was in my PH/CH tester, so of course it wasn't reading CH as r-0001 would!

Just tested and there's no CC.

Thank you cowboycasey!

- - - Updated - - -

Complete mess up on my part: I just saw the yellow cap and assumed it was the CH reagent from the basic kit (r-0001).

Thanks for help!

- - - Updated - - -

The pool is at a summer place where everything is shut down for the Winter, so there is no climate controlled place to store.

Just like lots of things (the house itself, motorized vehicles with their gas and batteries, etc.), the Winter takes its toll.

Thanks!

I think I mean r-0006 instead of r-0001 -- I mean the one where 5 drops turns the sample varying degrees of yellow according the the CH level.

Holy cow did I mess up!

Thanks!

It's pretty small. There's no chance you can't take it with you when you close up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.