Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dpd reagent vs powder wildly different

1. Back To Top    #1

dpd reagent vs powder wildly different

I've been daily testing FC using the r-0003 reagent and it continued to register way too low (around .5 to 1). So I continued to add bleach.

Then I tested using the powder/0871 and FC was high (30-40).

So I bought a new bottle of 0003 and the same thing is happening.

This morning:

FC using 0003: 0
    FC using powder: 4
    PH 7.5
    TA 100

What could be going on?

Could the powder have gone bad over the winter (it does freeze)?

Thank you,

Joseph

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: dpd reagent vs powder wildly different

Joseph,

You have them backward, no issues...

You use the powder 0870 first
    add 0871 until clear
    then add 5 drops of 0003 (if clear you have no Combined Chloramine) if turns pink next step
    add 0871 until clear again that is your CC

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Have a look at this video, which also highlights the reagent numbers. FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube

R-0870 is the DPD powder, R-0871 is the FAS-DPD titrating reagent for measuring FC (free chlorine)

R-0003 is DPD reagent for the CC test (combined chlorine), followed by R-0871 to get the CC number.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

Also yo should store your test kit in a climate controlled location, some of the reagents do go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures or extreme heat. I forget exactly which ones go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures, if yours were exposed to freezing you may want to contact TF Testkits for advice and purchase replacements for those reagents.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Holy cow did I mess up!

The R-0003 reagent (yellow cap) was in my PH/CH tester, so of course it wasn't reading CH as r-0001 would!

Just tested and there's no CC.

Thank you cowboycasey!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Have a look at this video, which also highlights the reagent numbers. FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube

R-0870 is the DPD powder, R-0871 is the FAS-DPD titrating reagent for measuring FC (free chlorine)

R-0003 is DPD reagent for the CC test (combined chlorine), followed by R-0871 to get the CC number.
    Complete mess up on my part: I just saw the yellow cap and assumed it was the CH reagent from the basic kit (r-0001).

Thanks for help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Also yo should store your test kit in a climate controlled location, some of the reagents do go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures or extreme heat. I forget exactly which ones go bad if exposed to freezing temperatures, if yours were exposed to freezing you may want to contact TF Testkits for advice and purchase replacements for those reagents.
    The pool is at a summer place where everything is shut down for the Winter, so there is no climate controlled place to store.

Just like lots of things (the house itself, motorized vehicles with their gas and batteries, etc.), the Winter takes its toll.

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by josephny View Post
    Holy cow did I mess up!

The R-0003 reagent (yellow cap) was in my PH/CH tester, so of course it wasn't reading CH as r-0001 would!

Just tested and there's no CC.

Thank you cowboycasey!

- - - Updated - - -

Complete mess up on my part: I just saw the yellow cap and assumed it was the CH reagent from the basic kit (r-0001).

Thanks for help!

- - - Updated - - -

The pool is at a summer place where everything is shut down for the Winter, so there is no climate controlled place to store.

Just like lots of things (the house itself, motorized vehicles with their gas and batteries, etc.), the Winter takes its toll.

Thanks!
    I think I mean r-0006 instead of r-0001 -- I mean the one where 5 drops turns the sample varying degrees of yellow according the the CH level.

7. Back To Top    #7

No worries, happy to help. There's some more videos at TF Test Kits and for me, I had to read the instructions every time as I was learning. After a while, it becomes second nature. Yellow might be the OTO chlorine test.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm glad we were able to fix that for you!

I can recall panicking once when my CH test wouldn't go pink even though I was way beyond where it should be. That TA reagent just won't do it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I sure am glad I purchased the speed stir when I purchased my TF-100 Kit. After watching the video, I would HATE to be without it!!!!!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by josephny View Post
    Holy cow did I mess up!

Thanks!
    It's pretty small. There's no chance you can't take it with you when you close up?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D