How do you add bleach?

Grated

Jun 10, 2016
Atlanta/GA
Measuring cup, bucket, etc. Trying to find the best way not to splash it. Is it as harmful as it says to the skin? I have never messed with bleach before, therefore I am not sure how scared of this stuff I should be. Pouring it over the rail near the water outlet to the pool is not the easiest with the jug.

I bought a 1 quart pyrex measuring cup from walmart and use that to measure my manual doses. I like the large handle on it, and the pour spout makes it easy for me to pour the bleach into the pool without splashing. You still have to be careful while pouring the bleach into the measuring cup. Poor slow, and cautiously. The hardest part for me is opening the stupid paper/plastic seal they always have underneath the bottle cap without getting some bleach on your fingers. I haven't found a way to avoid that. I just wash my hands off in water quickly. I guess gloves would help, but I haven't done that yet.

I float the jug in the pool with the mouth of the bottle and inch or two above the water line and tip to pour. Don't have to hold a heavy jug and no splash. Although, I have gotten in a hurry and splashed some on me occasionally and it is no problem at all.

I never pour it into a measuring cup. I just round to the nearest 1/4 of a jug or so.

Gonna bring a Texas mickey of Crown back from Canada next visit! Anyway, back to pouring bleach or the mods will take away our whiskey ;)

My dad used to say: "Including decanting the 'shine, handle chemicals using the fewest steps that achieve an effective and repeatable result."

When I need to make a manual FC change I punch a small hole in the peel off tab with the tip of a knife and lay the jug sideways on the diving board, this will typically dispense 1/3 to 1/2 of a jug of bleach at a moderate drip before it stops flowing. 1 96 ounce jug of bleach adds about 2 ppm FC in my pool, so the 1/3 - 1/2 jug works out as about a 1 ppm boost to the pool, normal chlorination is handled by the metering pump.

How much are these pumps y'all speak of? I am going to ride this pool wall/ liner out as long as I can but I will need a new filter/pump in the fall. The liner is only 2 years old but the wall had a small amount of rust on. I treated it but I am sure it wont be the same. So i figure I can buy in chunks. Filter/pump this fall maybe new pool the following year or 2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use a plastic juice pitcher. Marked off lines with a sharpie as to what level adds 1ppm, 2ppm, etc. I also kind of float it on the water surface so it pours consistently.

Letting the jug float partially while I pour makes it easy. I have a large pool so if I'm adding bleach, I'm always adding at least 1/2 gallon. No need to measure other than eyeballing half a jug. When I dose my SIGNIFICANTLY smaller spa, I have a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup that I steal from the kitchen. Accurate testing is more important than accurate measuring!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.