Saltwater with intex 1500 gph or just sandfilter

So it does not include CYA?

16x48 intex ultra with intex 1500 gph pump

Yes it includes enough testing agent to do 2-3 CYA tests. My feeling is its not necessary to test CYA in a pool that's completely drained and refilled on a yearly basis. Add the proper amount of CYA to get to your target at the beginning of the year. Add a reasonable amount to makeup for backwash and splash out loss sometime around mid season and call it a day. The CYA test is subjective, hard to read even compared to a known standard, and the level really only needs to be in the ballpark.

I understand the desire to want to measure it regardless. Been there done that, back to tried and true method described above.

Im just terrified to end up with a swamp again. I could not keep chlorine up last year. I was using 3 in tabs. I think im gonna just go with bleach this year. I was running original filter punk last yr and every mornings id check pool. 0 chlorine even with tab in a floater constantly running dilter 24 hr a day

Gotcha. Ill work on that. Putting pool up this weekend. Besides test kit what do I need to buy up front as far as chemicals? I bought 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach. Dont know how much I'll need. And if im using bleach to maintain chlorine do I still need to shock weekly like i read everywhere?

The safe bet here is to get one of the suggested test kits and know, instead of guess and dump

I've got the recommended test kit, as well as the CYA standard solution for comparison. After a few tests I was no more confident in the exact CYA amount than before I did the test. I don't feel it's necessary to check the CYA in a pool that is completely drained yearly. Add the recommended amount of CYA to reach the desired level, top it up with a reasonable guesstimate mid season and proceed with confidence. My CYA test will not be used again until I switch to a pool that only gets partially drained yearly.

Btw ive never had a problem with ph...just keep enough chlorine.

You need cyranic acid / aka stabilizer. The bleach doesn't necessarily have to be 8.25%, but that's a readily available one now. Just make sure you set the chemical calculator to the % each you're using. Get your chlorine up to the recommended level for what you decide to set your CYA at and keep it above the minimum always. A little dip below the minimum when being checked daily shouldn't hurt things, but try to always stay above. Theoretically if you maintain your chlorine from day one, have decent circulation, and an occasional brush you should never have to shock the pool.

Awesome. I was very unclear of that. Hopefully I'll have it all set up by Sunday. Thanks so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA serves a couple of important functions. It protects FC from being burned off by the sun within hours and it significantly buffers the harshness of the chlorine. 30-50 ppm of CYA will make a huge difference in how long your chlorine lasts in your pool and it will make the water much nicer.

Once you have CYA in your pool the chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Always keep FC above minimum to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. If FC drops below minimum the pool becomes unsanitary and algae, bacteria, viruses and pathogens are not killed fast enough to prevent person to person disease transmission and algae blooms.

It is safe to swim in your pool when
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
And the water is clear

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.