Intex drain plug problem

May 6, 2012
Peoria, IL
I'm having a leaking problem with one of the drain plugs on my Intex pool. The plug on the inside started leaking a bit two years ago. I solved the problem by sealing the outside cap with some teflon tape. That stopped it from leaking for two seasons, but now the cap is cracked and it's letting the leak through. It's not gushing out, it's just a slow trickle, but I still need to fix it somehow. I tried using a standard PVC cap, but of course nothing with Intex is standard and the threads are different, so it's not sealing. I found what appears to be a replacement cap on Intex's website, but I was wondering if I should try sealing the inside plug shut instead. I don't use the drain plugs to drain it, I use a pump, so I don't care if they're permanently sealed. I don't think that outside cap is meant to hold water, I think it's just there to cover up the treads that are used to attach the garden hose adapter. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? If it's a good idea, what should I use to seal it shut? PVC glue? DAP contact cement? Silicone? Something else?

Edit-I forgot to mention that I wouldn't have to drain the whole pool. I just started filling it, so I would only have to drain an inch or two to get it below the plug.

This is meant for fiberglass and wood, not sure how vinyl would react to it.

that is mostly what it is used for but here is a graph of everything it sticks to and seals :) they do not specify vinyl but I have used it and it worked great :)

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/158782O/adhesive-sealant-5200-tech-data.htm

Typical Properties of 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200

Note: The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only and should not be used for specification purposes.

Effect of Water Submersion

Dumbbell specimen with 1/8” length, 1/8” square cross section were tested at 2.0 inches/minute. All samples tested at 50% relative humidity and 70° F (21° C).

Environmental Conditions
Time
Tensile Strength psi
Elongation %

(kg/cm2)

50% R.H. / 70° F (21° C)
52 day
705 (49.6)

Fresh Water
52 day
630 (44.6)

Salt Water
52 day
630 (44.6)

Overlap Shear Strength*

One inch (2.54 cm) overlap specimens at 0.093 inch (0.2362 cm) thickness. Samples cured at 70°F (21°C), 50% Relative Humidity.

Substrate
Strength psi

(kg/cm²)

Fir
700 (49)

Teak
500 (35)

Pine
680 (48)

Oak
545 (39)

Maple
655 (46)

Mahogany
560 (40)

Cold-Rolled Steel
530 (38)

Stainless Steel
350 (25)

Aluminum
390 (28)

Brass
470 (33)

Bronze
250 (18)

Copper
200 (14)

Lead
100 (7.5)

Zinc (Galvanized)
480 (34)

Nylon
175 (12)

ABS
230 (16)

Acrylic
215 (15)

Polycarbonate
380 (27)

Fiber-Reinforced Plastic**
360 (26)

*Overlap shear strength values are approximate. Adhesion tests should always be performed on the specific substrates to be used in application.

**Resins used in fiber reinforced plastics often vary. To ensure strong bond, adhesion tests should always be performed on the specific substrates used in application.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.