Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex drain plug problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex drain plug problem

I'm having a leaking problem with one of the drain plugs on my Intex pool. The plug on the inside started leaking a bit two years ago. I solved the problem by sealing the outside cap with some teflon tape. That stopped it from leaking for two seasons, but now the cap is cracked and it's letting the leak through. It's not gushing out, it's just a slow trickle, but I still need to fix it somehow. I tried using a standard PVC cap, but of course nothing with Intex is standard and the threads are different, so it's not sealing. I found what appears to be a replacement cap on Intex's website, but I was wondering if I should try sealing the inside plug shut instead. I don't use the drain plugs to drain it, I use a pump, so I don't care if they're permanently sealed. I don't think that outside cap is meant to hold water, I think it's just there to cover up the treads that are used to attach the garden hose adapter. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? If it's a good idea, what should I use to seal it shut? PVC glue? DAP contact cement? Silicone? Something else?

Edit-I forgot to mention that I wouldn't have to drain the whole pool. I just started filling it, so I would only have to drain an inch or two to get it below the plug.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Intex drain plug problem

you can use this, fill the inside of the broken cap and screw back on, this stuff is permanent so only use it if you never want it off again
    once screwed on you can use the rest to coat the outside also and if you have 2 you can fill the other one...

3M 5200
    Amazon.com: 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Fast Cure White, 06535, 1 oz tube (Pack of 1): Industrial Scientific
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

This is meant for fiberglass and wood, not sure how vinyl would react to it.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    you can use this, fill the inside of the broken cap and screw back on, this stuff is permanent so only use it if you never want it off again
    once screwed on you can use the rest to coat the outside also and if you have 2 you can fill the other one...

3M 5200
    Amazon.com: 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 Fast Cure White, 06535, 1 oz tube (Pack of 1): Industrial Scientific
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    This is meant for fiberglass and wood, not sure how vinyl would react to it.
    that is mostly what it is used for but here is a graph of everything it sticks to and seals they do not specify vinyl but I have used it and it worked great

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1...-tech-data.htm

Typical Properties of 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200

Note: The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only and should not be used for specification purposes.

Effect of Water Submersion

Dumbbell specimen with 1/8 length, 1/8 square cross section were tested at 2.0 inches/minute. All samples tested at 50% relative humidity and 70 F (21 C).

Environmental Conditions
    Time
    Tensile Strength psi
    Elongation %

(kg/cm2)

50% R.H. / 70 F (21 C)
    52 day
    705 (49.6)

Fresh Water
    52 day
    630 (44.6)

Salt Water
    52 day
    630 (44.6)

Overlap Shear Strength*

One inch (2.54 cm) overlap specimens at 0.093 inch (0.2362 cm) thickness. Samples cured at 70F (21C), 50% Relative Humidity.

Substrate
    Strength psi

(kg/cm)

Fir
    700 (49)

Teak
    500 (35)

Pine
    680 (48)

Oak
    545 (39)

Maple
    655 (46)

Mahogany
    560 (40)

Cold-Rolled Steel
    530 (38)

Stainless Steel
    350 (25)

Aluminum
    390 (28)

Brass
    470 (33)

Bronze
    250 (18)

Copper
    200 (14)

Lead
    100 (7.5)

Zinc (Galvanized)
    480 (34)

Nylon
    175 (12)

ABS
    230 (16)

Acrylic
    215 (15)

Polycarbonate
    380 (27)

Fiber-Reinforced Plastic**
    360 (26)

*Overlap shear strength values are approximate. Adhesion tests should always be performed on the specific substrates to be used in application.

**Resins used in fiber reinforced plastics often vary. To ensure strong bond, adhesion tests should always be performed on the specific substrates used in application.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **