TA almost doubled?

Mar 29, 2016
Chicago,IL
So my TA has gone up from 110 to 190 in about 2 weeks. I added 40lbs of Proteam supreme and
was curious if this is what caused the increase? Should I be concerned at it being that high? Everything else is spot on and seems to be holding well

Test results

Ph-7.6
fc-5
cc-0
ta-190
borates-50
cya-28

Let us examine the clues.

attachment.php

Aha! The MSDS says it contains Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate and some kind of proprietary ingredient, likely dry acid to neutralize the pH incrase. Exact percentages aren't given.

So... going to pool math and inputting 19000 gallons at the top and then scrolling down to Effects of Adding Chemicals... 640 ounces of Sodium tetraborate pentahydrate will raise pH by 5.62, raise borate by 37 and raise TA by <drumroll> 86.

So the stuff isn't 100% and the acid cancelled the pH rise but the TA is pretty much in the ballpark.

Countpyro1? What was your intentions with the ProTeam Supreme? Was there some imbalance going on you were looking to correct? Or did you just want to add a water enhancer?

I added it for the borates. They had it pretty cheap and wanted to give it a try. It's oh neutral so I didn't have to need with the Acid. Maybe it's Proteam supreme plus or what ever it's called. I know I could of done it cheaper with 20 mile or borax but had some gift store credit I had to use up so bought this instead.

- - - Updated - - -

It would appear you are trying to mix pool store advice and TFP advice. It won't work!
Actually it's TFP advise....

No, generally having high TA is not bad. It will put upward pressure on your PH and it will rise faster. So, just keep a closer eye on PH and lower it as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.