New Sand Filter Installed

lgldsr

May 18, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'd be screwed without this Forum. Love it, fantastic source of invaluable information. Keep up the great work!

I have an Intex Ultra Frame Pool, 18 x 9 x 52"D, ~4560 gallons. The pool meets the needs for the grandkids but as you likely know Intex provides filtration with their pools that is an absolutely minimal amount to meet the needs of the pool.

Hence I purchased a new sand filter today.

Three pieces of information are missing from the Sandpro 75D manual:

(1) How long should the filter run given the ~4560 gallon pool size with a rated pump output of 3,120 gal/hour;
(2) How many turnovers of water in a 24 hour period should there be;
(2) What is an acceptable maximum pressure on the gauge? There is no green/yellow/red indicator to indicate what is acceptable. There is 80 pounds of sand in the filter.

Also, what is the difference between 'Pump Flow Rate' (3,120/hr) and 'Design Flow Rate' (1,392/hr)?

Any input greatly appreciated and again, thanks for a great forum!

Re: New Sandpro 75D Filter Installed

That is a nice upgrade :) good job..

questions 1, 2, and 3 are not needed, we recommend starting at 4 hours and see if the clarity of the water is good for you :)

whatever your pressure is backwash when the pressure rises 25%, so if your clean pressure is 10 psi, backwash at 12/13 psi

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I hope this helps :)

Just to add to that, each pool is different in the amount of filtration needed, however we have found that most typical pools can operate on 4-6 hours of filtration per day, so our general advice is turn filtration down until you notice a clarity issue, then add an extra hour or so. You may need to increase this at certain times if you have high levels of dust or pollen getting into the pool.

As to the pump flow rate and design flow rate, it depends the pump flow rate may be the maximum amount of water the pump can flow with no head resistance vs the filter design flow rate is the maximum flow rate the filter is designed to handle. It all depends on the fine print though, looking up your pump/filter combo that pump flow rate does indeed appear to be at zero head pressure, so you should be fine with it even though your sand filter design flow is a lower number. Game does not appear to publish a pump head curve for their pumps, but if it is at all like a typical above ground 3/4 HP pump expect real world water flow to be well under 50% of the rated zero head max flow number at typical sand filter operating pressure.

That is a nice upgrade :) good job..

questions 1, 2, and 3 are not needed, we recommend starting at 4 hours and see if the clarity of the water is good for you :)

whatever your pressure is backwash when the pressure rises 25%, so if your clean pressure is 10 psi, backwash at 12/13 psi

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I hope this helps :)
That helps a tremendous amount, thank you very much. What really fried me though it that I had to buy this locally at Leslie's....NOT something I wanted to do. $339.00 vs ~$230.00 at Amazon, etc. Oh well....was caught between a rock and a hard place. The markup in these pools stores (Namco, Leslies) is astronomical.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add to that, each pool is different in the amount of filtration needed, however we have found that most typical pools can operate on 4-6 hours of filtration per day, so our general advice is turn filtration down until you notice a clarity issue, then add an extra hour or so. You may need to increase this at certain times if you have high levels of dust or pollen getting into the pool.

As to the pump flow rate and design flow rate, it depends the pump flow rate may be the maximum amount of water the pump can flow with no head resistance vs the filter design flow rate is the maximum flow rate the filter is designed to handle. It all depends on the fine print though, looking up your pump/filter combo that pump flow rate does indeed appear to be at zero head pressure, so you should be fine with it even though your sand filter design flow is a lower number. Game does not appear to publish a pump head curve for their pumps, but if it is at all like a typical above ground 3/4 HP pump expect real world water flow to be well under 50% of the rated zero head max flow number at typical sand filter operating pressure.
Thank you! Appreciate the excellent information! Again, fantastic forum here!

Wow you must have caught it on sale at Leslies, I was in the local Leslies a month or so ago when they had a big sale going on featuring a pool float priced at $79, the exact same float is $35 regular price on Amazon.

Wow you must have caught it on sale at Leslies, I was in the local Leslies a month or so ago when they had a big sale going on featuring a pool float priced at $79, the exact same float is $35 regular price on Amazon.
It's pretty insane and I've found Namco to be no better. I mean seriously....$39.00 for a 30' length of plastic pool hose? I'd love to know the actual cost to manufacture and distribute and what Namco, Leslie's, etc., pay. The markup must be tremendous.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.