Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Sand Filter Installed

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23

    New Sand Filter Installed

    I'd be screwed without this Forum. Love it, fantastic source of invaluable information. Keep up the great work!

    I have an Intex Ultra Frame Pool, 18 x 9 x 52"D, ~4560 gallons. The pool meets the needs for the grandkids but as you likely know Intex provides filtration with their pools that is an absolutely minimal amount to meet the needs of the pool.

    Hence I purchased a new sand filter today.

    Three pieces of information are missing from the Sandpro 75D manual:

    (1) How long should the filter run given the ~4560 gallon pool size with a rated pump output of 3,120 gal/hour;
    (2) How many turnovers of water in a 24 hour period should there be;
    (2) What is an acceptable maximum pressure on the gauge? There is no green/yellow/red indicator to indicate what is acceptable. There is 80 pounds of sand in the filter.

    Also, what is the difference between 'Pump Flow Rate' (3,120/hr) and 'Design Flow Rate' (1,392/hr)?

    Any input greatly appreciated and again, thanks for a great forum!

  2. Back To Top    #2


    TFP Guide

    cowboycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fletcher, OK
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: New Sandpro 75D Filter Installed

    That is a nice upgrade good job..

    questions 1, 2, and 3 are not needed, we recommend starting at 4 hours and see if the clarity of the water is good for you

    whatever your pressure is backwash when the pressure rises 25%, so if your clean pressure is 10 psi, backwash at 12/13 psi

    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

    I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: New Sandpro 75D Filter Installed

    Just to add to that, each pool is different in the amount of filtration needed, however we have found that most typical pools can operate on 4-6 hours of filtration per day, so our general advice is turn filtration down until you notice a clarity issue, then add an extra hour or so. You may need to increase this at certain times if you have high levels of dust or pollen getting into the pool.

    As to the pump flow rate and design flow rate, it depends the pump flow rate may be the maximum amount of water the pump can flow with no head resistance vs the filter design flow rate is the maximum flow rate the filter is designed to handle. It all depends on the fine print though, looking up your pump/filter combo that pump flow rate does indeed appear to be at zero head pressure, so you should be fine with it even though your sand filter design flow is a lower number. Game does not appear to publish a pump head curve for their pumps, but if it is at all like a typical above ground 3/4 HP pump expect real world water flow to be well under 50% of the rated zero head max flow number at typical sand filter operating pressure.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23

    Re: New Sandpro 75D Filter Installed

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    That is a nice upgrade good job..

    questions 1, 2, and 3 are not needed, we recommend starting at 4 hours and see if the clarity of the water is good for you

    whatever your pressure is backwash when the pressure rises 25%, so if your clean pressure is 10 psi, backwash at 12/13 psi

    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

    I hope this helps
    That helps a tremendous amount, thank you very much. What really fried me though it that I had to buy this locally at Leslie's....NOT something I wanted to do. $339.00 vs ~$230.00 at Amazon, etc. Oh well....was caught between a rock and a hard place. The markup in these pools stores (Namco, Leslies) is astronomical.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Just to add to that, each pool is different in the amount of filtration needed, however we have found that most typical pools can operate on 4-6 hours of filtration per day, so our general advice is turn filtration down until you notice a clarity issue, then add an extra hour or so. You may need to increase this at certain times if you have high levels of dust or pollen getting into the pool.

    As to the pump flow rate and design flow rate, it depends the pump flow rate may be the maximum amount of water the pump can flow with no head resistance vs the filter design flow rate is the maximum flow rate the filter is designed to handle. It all depends on the fine print though, looking up your pump/filter combo that pump flow rate does indeed appear to be at zero head pressure, so you should be fine with it even though your sand filter design flow is a lower number. Game does not appear to publish a pump head curve for their pumps, but if it is at all like a typical above ground 3/4 HP pump expect real world water flow to be well under 50% of the rated zero head max flow number at typical sand filter operating pressure.
    Thank you! Appreciate the excellent information! Again, fantastic forum here!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,711

    Re: New Sandpro 75D Filter Installed

    Wow you must have caught it on sale at Leslies, I was in the local Leslies a month or so ago when they had a big sale going on featuring a pool float priced at $79, the exact same float is $35 regular price on Amazon.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23

    Re: New Sandpro 75D Filter Installed

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Wow you must have caught it on sale at Leslies, I was in the local Leslies a month or so ago when they had a big sale going on featuring a pool float priced at $79, the exact same float is $35 regular price on Amazon.
    It's pretty insane and I've found Namco to be no better. I mean seriously....$39.00 for a 30' length of plastic pool hose? I'd love to know the actual cost to manufacture and distribute and what Namco, Leslie's, etc., pay. The markup must be tremendous.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •