Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Would you go with TWP100 or Sherwin Williams SuperDeck deck stain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Would you go with TWP100 or Sherwin Williams SuperDeck deck stain?

Hello,

I live in Kansas City, MO and need to re-stain a very large wooden deck around 2 sides of a very large plaster pool. I've historically used Olympic Maximum Cedar Naturaltone Semi-Transparent Exterior Stain and it only lasts for 2 years. Wondering if anyone has ever used TWP100 or Sherwin Williams SuperDeck deck stain as the reviews seem to be very good. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Would you go with TWP100 or Sherwin Williams SuperDeck deck stain?

I recommend Sikkens Cetol SRD. Not at all cheap but great stuff.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for posting. Looking for the same answers.
    Old deck - 350 square feet, getting tore up pretty bad and should've stained 1-2 years ago.
    New deck - 400 square feet, was fairly wet when installed two months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I recommend Sikkens Cetol SRD. Not at all cheap but great stuff.
    when did you use this product?
    RECENT reviews don't look that great http://www.amazon.com/Sikkens-Transl...ews/B00L3I7E16
    YMMV
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My use was over 10 years ago. And it just now needs recoated on vertical surfaces. I did see some of that, and I also agree with the people that questioned those bad reviews saying how can it peel when it soaks in. Something didn't jive. I'll absolutely buy it again for my use but I understand your concern based on those reviews. It is more of a product marketed towards pros (at least in the past it was - I heard about it from a pro) and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a Timberpro UV dealer nearby I'd go with that.

Not uncommon for decking / fencing to not go gray after 8 years.
    (the show room here has a half stained wood plank they had on their roof for that time)

It's not cheap, but eco friendly and amazing looking in a wide variety of colors.

They make it to order.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.