New DIY build In Huntsville, AL

Jun 1, 2013
Huntsville AL
Final Pics Attached! New DIY build In Huntsville, AL

Final Pics Attached on Page 2!

Planning to order the kit this week. I am trying to make sure I have all my equipment and plumbing figured out before I order.. The pool is 20x40 sports pool.

Pump- 1hp Maxflo XL #SP2307X10 (is that enough for all the returns and a slide? slide will only be going when we have guests)
Filter- Hayward 300lb sand or larger
Dolphin Nautilus Plus or Dolphin Triton
Typhoon Slide

Aqua rite 40 - I am calculating pool to be around 25,000 gallons

Step returns - Is it better to have 1 return on each side of the second step, or run returns the length of the second step with 3 to 4 returns?
Plumb each skimmer separately. Should I install the equalizer pipe since I will not have a main drain?

The returns can I do all those on a loop?
If I can get the plumbing figured out I will draw up a layout for that as well. I am a little nervous about the full length vinyl covered steps and the tight corners. I plan to do 2' corners on the other end of the pool. Pool warehouse says there will be no issues with the liner steps as long as I place sand bags on the steps. I love the looked of liner covered and I am not a fan at all of the inserts. Its one of those things if I do not do the liner steps I will regret it. But if I do the liner steps and have issues I will regret it to... Appreciate all the comments

Attachments

• Pool resize.jpg
    Pool resize.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I built my own pool last summer. Here are my thoughts:

That's a lot of returns at the steps. Not sure why you need that many at the steps. I have good rotation in my pool with the following setup. I have 5 returns to create an anti-clockwise rotation in the north and clockise in the south. My pool is a lagoon but my same configuration would work for you. Translating my layout to your pool, I have 1 in the center of the west wall, 1 at approximately each light (with these returns), 1 at the center of the step and 1 on the north wall. The thing I like about my layout is the prevailing wind works most of the debris across the middle of the pool anyways, so the rotation I have sweeps the debris across the skimmers.

We added separate plumbing and valves for all returns and suction. That lets you adjust for best rotation or you can completely seal off a leaking pipe. But with out a suction break, you will probably need to connect the skimmers together. Also, termites can chew up flex PVC, so make sure you go solid.

We love our vinyl covered steps. We bought a diamond tread plate pattern vinyl runner and put it on the steps before putting in the liner. It gives the steps anti slip feel yet costs VERY little.

I like the idea on the diamond tread. I could do that instead of foam. On the steps I am looking for just 1 on each side or 4 in the step. I wasn't sure if one on each side would keep the steps clean. I seen a few on YouTube with tanning ledge and they have 3 or four in the second step.

I built my own pool last summer. Here are my thoughts:

That's a lot of returns at the steps. Not sure why you need that many at the steps. I have good rotation in my pool with the following setup. I have 5 returns to create an anti-clockwise rotation in the north and clockise in the south. My pool is a lagoon but my same configuration would work for you. Translating my layout to your pool, I have 1 in the center of the west wall, 1 at approximately each light (with these returns), 1 at the center of the step and 1 on the north wall. The thing I like about my layout is the prevailing wind works most of the debris across the middle of the pool anyways, so the rotation I have sweeps the debris across the skimmers.

We added separate plumbing and valves for all returns and suction. That lets you adjust for best rotation or you can completely seal off a leaking pipe. But with out a suction break, you will probably need to connect the skimmers together. Also, termites can chew up flex PVC, so make sure you go solid.

We love our vinyl covered steps. We bought a diamond tread plate pattern vinyl runner and put it on the steps before putting in the liner. It gives the steps anti slip feel yet costs VERY little.

Ok So you have no returns on the east side? How are your skimmers space out? I am not sure I follow what you mean with the by the suction break and connecting skimmers together?

Ok So you have no returns on the east side?
I have 2 on the east side. They are located near where you have lights. The south most points south and the north most points north.

How are your skimmers space out?
The same as your skimmers.

I am not sure I follow what you mean with the by the suction break and connecting skimmers together?
Read the tragic story of Virginia Graeme Baker. She was trapped underwater by the suction of a hot tub drain. In order to prevent a suction hazard, you connect one suction point to to another. This way, if one gets blocked by a body, then the suction has another point of relief. I have 4 suction points including my 2 main drains and 2 skimmers. The main drains are connected together under the poolcrete. Each skimmer is independently plumbed. There are 3 suction pipes that go to the pump. If either skimmer is blocked by a body, there is no suction hazard because I have 2 other ways for the pump to break suction. If I ever shut off one of the suction valves, there will still be a way for the pump suction to be broken. However, with just 2 skimmers, if someone (perhaps a child playing by the pump) accidentally shuts off the valve to the pump with 1 skimmer, then the other skimmer will be an entrapment hazard. I realize that skimmers have a top that's open to the air and it's unlikely that that would be blocked, but it is possible with a pool toy on the deck. A suction hazard is too scary to not have multiple points of relief.

On a side note, this is why I leave several pair of good scissors on hooks around the pool and hot tub. If long hair or clothing ever gets caught on something underwater, there is always a pair of scissors close by for someone to grab.

One thing you might consider is using venturi skimmers. They require much less flow rate to work and would allow you to run mostly on low speed of a two speed pump. ;-)

As for pipe runs and valving, here are my suggestions:

1) Put each skimmer on it's own line back to the pump with a 2-way valve control on each line OR a single 3-way valve.

2) Group the stair returns into a single pipe run back to the pump. Note: the side returns on the stairs are probably sufficient to keep debris off the stairs.

3) Group the remaining pool returns into a single pipe run back to the pump.

4) Combine 2 & 3 with a 2-way valve control on each line OR a single 3-way valve.

5) Slide should have it's only valve and pipe to the pump but you may want a 3-way here so you can reduce the flow on all the other returns to increase the lift for the slide.

Plumbed this way, you can use all 2" pipe.

The venturi skimmers require a return pipe as well as a suction pipe to the skimmer. By returning water through the skimmer, it increases the suction of the skimmer by more than 2x.

venturi+diagram.jpg

You probably won't need as many returns either.

Ok that makes sense. So do I need to separate the return pipe for the skimmer from the other returns? I will remove the 3 returns on the steps and just use the 2 on the sides of step. Would it be safe to remove the 1 return on the east side also if I use the venturi?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I would have the returns for the skimmer on separate return lines, one for each skimmer so you can make adjustments not only on the suction side but on the return side too.

One question on the skimmers. You have both on the same side of the pool. The one on the lower right I get but you might consider swapping sides with the other skimmer because wind does not always blow from the same direction. With low pressure regions, it can reverse and often does. If you did that, then yes, I think you could remove the one return on the east side.

It would probably work ok either way but with returns on opposite sides and skimmers on opposites sides, you might get better surface circulation so no matter where the debris falls, it would get swept up a little easier (large circular pattern).

Filter is the big round thing with a waste port.

I might move the lower left return over the stairs in front of the skimmer so you don't have two returns fighting each other. It might create strong currents right over the stairs. Also move the upper right return right in front of the other skimmer.

The plumbing schematic looks fine but if you have only one stair return, it might not make sense to have that separate from the others but that is up to you if you want that control or not.

The key to keeping the steps clean is to prevent the surface debris from sinking there. A single return should be able to easily do that. I have a return across the width of the pool aimed at my stairs and when the cover is off, I get little debris there but when the cover is on, I get a ton because debris falls over the edge of the cover.

But remember too that unless you run the pump 24/7 some will get on the steps. Were you thinking the returns would be like in-floor cleaners? You could do that but they would need to have one return for each step and at step level in order to blow off any debris.

yes I was using them just to keep the surface debris from holding inside the steps. I was not planning on doing any returns for the floor area. I just called to make a change on my quote to change to the venturi skimmers and I will use one return on 2nd step and move the other across from skimmer. Finally getting somewhere!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.