Cooling off the pool deck

yzf600

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Here in the desert, it doesn't matter what "cool" surface you place on the pool deck, it's going to get uncomfortably hot to walk on. A quick dousing of the deck with a couple of buckets of water cool it down nicely.

Since I was going to re-do my deck with travertine, I was thinking I should install a couple of rotor sprinklers that would spray down the deck & pool for a couple of minutes to cool it off. The water source would come from the current pool fill line, that's actually after my water softener. Can anyone think of a reason not to do this, other than it makes the entire deck slippery all at once?

It might leave some hard water/scale stains as the water evaporates and leaves behind the calcium. But, those will be white and if your travertine is light/white then it probably won't be very noticeable. I think that travertine will be a lot cooler anyway and maybe you won't need the deck cooler anyway.

There won't be much calcium left behind since it's softened water. I have some similarly light colored travertine on my patio that is just as hot as the current pool deck. When the air temp is 115, that IR heating from the ball of fire in the sky really adds up.

Oops, I misread that and my response was based on water before the water softener. I agree that it will be fine. Bummer about the hot feet! I would have thought the travertine would have been a bit cooler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.