Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cooling off the pool deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Cooling off the pool deck

Here in the desert, it doesn't matter what "cool" surface you place on the pool deck, it's going to get uncomfortably hot to walk on. A quick dousing of the deck with a couple of buckets of water cool it down nicely.

Since I was going to re-do my deck with travertine, I was thinking I should install a couple of rotor sprinklers that would spray down the deck & pool for a couple of minutes to cool it off. The water source would come from the current pool fill line, that's actually after my water softener. Can anyone think of a reason not to do this, other than it makes the entire deck slippery all at once?
    15k gallon, salt water, plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor, hayward Aquanat 200 pool vac ultra located in Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cooling off the pool deck

It might leave some hard water/scale stains as the water evaporates and leaves behind the calcium. But, those will be white and if your travertine is light/white then it probably won't be very noticeable. I think that travertine will be a lot cooler anyway and maybe you won't need the deck cooler anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

There won't be much calcium left behind since it's softened water. I have some similarly light colored travertine on my patio that is just as hot as the current pool deck. When the air temp is 115, that IR heating from the ball of fire in the sky really adds up.
    15k gallon, salt water, plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor, hayward Aquanat 200 pool vac ultra located in Phoenix, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops, I misread that and my response was based on water before the water softener. I agree that it will be fine. Bummer about the hot feet! I would have thought the travertine would have been a bit cooler.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Start each session off with a quick jump and cannon ball.. works on mine
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

yzf600, how thick is the travertine on your patio or deck and what is the base?
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

7. Back To Top    #7

When I read message threads like this it makes me so glad I have an indoor pool
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, I'm a little jealous.
    TFP Moderator